Okay, so I should have shared this peaches and cashew cream breakfast recipe with you months ago since it has fresh peaches. But I didn’t. Mostly because I kept forgetting to take pictures of it. So, here it is. At the end of summer for you to enjoy for the last few days that fresh peaches can be found.
The idea for this raw breakfast came from one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks called, Eating the Alkaline Way: Recipes for a Well-Balanced Honestly Healthy Lifestyle (affiliate link). I’ve made many recipes from the book and I’ve loved all of them. It covers everything from fresh juices to desserts (the chocolate superfood ganache is especially wonderful).
In this cookbook there is a recipe for a nut and berry layered breakfast. Kind of like one of those fruit and granola parfait things but without the dairy. Instead, it has cashew cream. Now, before I tried this breakfast I was a little scared of cashew cream. It seemed strange to me. Kind of like rolled oats in a smoothie recipe (which by the way turned out to be awesome in this strawberry blueberry smoothie).
The cashew cream is rich and creamy and the perfect substitute for milk and soy products. It’s also really easy to make. But you do want to soak the cashews for at least an hour before making the cream. This makes them easier to digest and your body will absorb more of the nutrients. I usually make a batch of the cashew cream to last me a few days.
The first couple of times I made this nut and fruit breakfast I used fresh berries as the recipe suggested. Until one day I happened to have a fresh peach on the counter. I sliced that up, added in some pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. It was absolutely delicious.
And then, I made it again. But this time I added some maca powder. It was even better. The maca powder and the cashew cream created this magical combination that worked perfectly with the sweet peaches. It is probably my favorite post-workout raw, vegan summer breakfast – ever.
In the recipe below, I didn’t give specific amounts for many of the ingredients. Instead, add as much or as little of each item based on your tastes. I usually do a few spoonfuls of seeds, some dollops of cashew cream and a teaspoon-ish of maca powder. I also sometimes add shredded coconut, hemp seeds and/or cacao nibs to the mix. Be creative!
Peaches and Cashew Cream Breakfast
- 1/2 ripe organic peach
- Raw, sprouted and organic pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and/or other nuts
- Raw flax seeds and/or hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon raw, organic maca powder
- Cashew cream (recipe below)
- Cut peach into bite sized pieces and put into a small bowl.
- Add a spoonful of seeds and nuts.
- Top with a layer of cashew cream.
- Repeat as desired until it looks like enough to fill your belly.
- Top with maca powder and stir before eating to combine all of the goodness.
Raw Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup raw, organic cashews soaked for one hour and drained
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- After the nuts have soaked for a minimum of one hour, drain them and put in a high-speed blender.
- Add 1/8 cup of filtered water and vanilla extract.
- Blend to make a smooth cream, adding more water as needed.