Essence of Now: Treats

After the TEDxUniversityofNevada event, I was inspired to make some changes with the kids. One such change was to not be a dreamkiller anymore.

Hayley has always wanted to work with donuts. Pretty much any job that deals with donuts she wants to do. In fact she thinks life isn’t fair because I don’t let her eat enough donuts. There is even a video about her love for donuts.

kid loves donuts

So, in order to support her dreams of working with donuts I have incorporated baking lessons into our homeschooling.

The first treats we baked were Orange Vanilla Scones.

baking scones with kids

A week later we made Carrot Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Icing.

kids baking cupcakes

As you can see the children didn’t like the scones or the cupcakes. At all. (Can you sense my sarcasm?)

But the best treats I’ve had all week? These easy vodka cocktails feature Tahoe Blue Vodka which is a local company for me and part of the proceeds help preserve the beauty of Lake Tahoe. We love visiting Lake Tahoe and want the water to stay clear and beautiful.

You can read more about Tahoe Blue Vodka in the spirit review I wrote.

Tahoe Blue Vodka Cocktail

That’s been our week of treats. I’m sure there will be plenty more to come. The kid already has some more recipes bookmarked she wants to try and of course I have a lot more cocktail recipes to create. Hope your week has been sweet too!

AND…On Friday morning (2/8) I have some very exciting news to share so stay tuned!

Now it’s your turn to join Mama Track and me with your Essence of Now post. Grab the button code in the sidebar and linkup with the URL of your Essence of Now post.

Essence of Now

26 Responses to Essence of Now: Treats

1. Greta @gfunkified
    Twitter: gfunkified

Mmmmm. Donuts were sent directly from heaven. I keep pinning gf donut recipes and I REALLY need to make some. Until then, I just buy them in bulk and keep them in the freezer.

Carrot cupcakes and scones are pretty close to perfection, too. Will you homeschool me?

2. Elaine A.

Now THAT is some awesome homeschooling right there! YUM!!
    Elaine A. recently posted..This morning…

I wish my school was like yours!
    There have been commercials constantly for brownie batter donuts. I’m not even a donut eater, but those just sound delicious!
    Kimberly recently posted..Essence of Now: Busy, Busy, Busy…

4. Alison says:

I can get onboard with baking lessons!
    Can’t wait to hear your big news!
    Alison recently posted..Conversations With My Children

yummy… I would love one of those cupcakes right now.
    Leighann recently posted..Move Your Vajiggle Jaggle

Yum yum yum! I am reading this way too late…hungry now!
    Natalie recently posted..Little Moments Like This…

7. Jamie@SouthMainMuse
    Twitter: southmainmuse

Sad to say but sitting here at 6 a.m. and the drink looks more inviting to me than the donuts. Maybe I’m just dehydrated. Time to go get a glass of water.
    Jamie@SouthMainMuse recently posted..Bare down to where?

8. Maggie S.
    Twitter: AccidentalDesig

That’s how I feel about donuts, too. I worked in a donut shop the summer after I graduated high school. They let me bring home the leftover donuts at the end of the day. Best job ever!!! Although, I didn’t care for donuts for a couple of years after that.

My daughter is a donut person with me. My other daughter and my son are ice cream people with their dad.
    Maggie S. recently posted..One Good Day Out of Every Thirty

9. angela says:

Have you ever done where you can make donuts with Grands biscuits cooked in a pot of oil and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar? Yum.
    angela recently posted..Welcome Rita Arens

10. Your statement, “not to be a dream killer” cracked me up. My daughter heard that in a movie or TV show at one point and said that to me in a moment of sarcasm – I wish I could recall exactly what the context was….anyway…I doubt you are a dream killer. :-) But, I think it’s great that you are letting her explore her interests, that’s what fantastic moms and teachers do. She certainly wouldn’t get donut and scone making skills in the classroom of a public school – well, not often anyway. As much as I wanted to do fun things like that as a classroom teacher it wasn’t always possible.
    Nicole @MTDLBlog recently posted..Focused on the Flaws #ShareYourLife

• Public school is focused on teaching the fundamentals which are very important for kids to learn. I figure since we aren’t going the public school route I can be flexible and teach the kids what they want to learn.

Plus I get to eat some sweet treats. Can’t beat that. :)

Yay for treats and donuts? A gift from heaven above. I share your daughter’s love.
    Tonya recently posted..The Freshman

12. Yum, I’m coming to your house!
    Natalie @MamaTrack recently posted..Valentine’s Day Torture

13. Robin | Farewell, Stranger

Love that you’re not being a dreamkiller. ;)
    Robin | Farewell, Stranger recently posted..Explore: Life in Pictures, Vol. 2