Benefit of Drinking Water – Lots of Water

benefit of drinking water

I never paid attention to how much water I drank in a day.

I had heard the powers that be say I needed to drink 8 cups of water a day which would equal 64 ounces.

Whatever.

I drank water when I was thirsty and it sounded good.

This was my normal for 30 years.

Until this last summer when I realized that I weighed more than I ever have in my life (with the exception of two pregnancies).

I thought that the extra 10ish pounds were because I had turned 30. That somehow that magical number had transformed my body and that I would no longer be the same.

Well, I was wrong.

The number on the scale wasn’t a result of my age. It was the result of what I ate. And drank.

Over the winter I had become accustomed to drinking grande soy Caramel Brulee Lattes every. single. day.

I was also drinking more alcohol as I was researching new cocktail recipes.

Water was at the bottom of my list, especially because the water was cold and who wants to drink cold water in the winter. Brrr….

drinking water to lose weight

Once the winter months disappeared and the spring weather took over, I didn’t fit into any of my very expensive capris anymore. They were all too tight.

Hello, determination.

There was no way I was going to get rid of any of part of my denim collection.

Nope, it was time to make a change and lose some weight.

The first change was to eliminate the coffee drinks. I switched to tall soy chai tea lattes and only a couple times a week.

Then I got out the water jug.

And I drank.

And drank.

And drank.

Between 60 and 80 ounces of water a day.

Plus a cocktail a few nights a week. It is my job after all.

why drinking water is important

The result of more water, less other sugary drinks?

I am now back to my normal weight that I have been at for the last 10+ years.

It feels good and my jeans fit again (some are actually too big…can you say Nordstrom’s?).

Moral of the story…

Drink water. Lots and lots of water. It’s good for you.

Water keeps you healthy. Helps you lose weight. Helps you feel full so you don’t over eat.

And don’t forget the occasional pomegranate martini. It’s good for you, too.

importance of drinking water

26 Responses to Benefit of Drinking Water – Lots of Water

1. Katie Hurley
    Twitter: katiefhurley

Go you! How amazing! So proud of you :) Those coffee drinks are sneaky, aren’t they? I switched to regular coffee with hardly any sugar a while ago…and I don’t even miss it.
    Katie Hurley recently posted..Family Goals on Away We Grow

Those coffee drinks are so sneaky and it is better for my waistline and my pocketbook for me to avoid them.

2. Alison says:

I suck at drinking water. Truly, truly suck.
    But if this can help me lose the pounds? Easy, will do it!
    Alison recently posted..Do. Or When The Easy Becomes Difficult

3. Maggie S.
    Twitter: AccidentalDesig

Congratulations.

And thanks for sharing your triumph with us.
    Maggie S. recently posted..You’ve Got To Be Freaking Kidding Me

4. Nicole says:

I drink – let’s see – approximately 16 cups of water a day. I have for years, other than coffee (and wine on weekends) that is the only thing I drink. I find if I don’t drink lots and lots of water I am fatigued and achy.
    Nicole recently posted..COME ON DOWN!

So proud of you. Just a simple change can make a huge difference.

Water is the best and all I drink anymore pretty much due to fertility treatments. I’ve tried flavoring it but most of the flavor powers and liquids give me a massive headache. Cucumber, orange or lemon juice are good though.
    Tonya recently posted..Sick

I’ve never tried flavoring my water with anything other than fresh lemon, lime, and cucumber. All of those are tasty but I prefer it straight. And not cold. I can’t drink cold water. Brrr.

6. Kate @ Mommy Monologues
    Twitter: katepantier

I can drop pounds FAST when I quit drinking my calories. I just hate drinking water, but then I start admiring new clothes & I remember that water keeps me skinny…so I drink it… even though I’m not happy about it. ;)
    Kate @ Mommy Monologues recently posted..2013, I’m Glad You’re Here

Ha! I’ve found that if I drink enough water I can still drink my cocktails. I’m not sure I could give those up.

7. Elizabeth Kane
    Twitter: elizabkane

Ok – now I’m thirsty! I’m going to give this a go. A little less hot chocolate and a little more water this week. Honestly after the holidays I had, this sounds pretty good right now.

It is crazy how much water can do for your body. I do love how you feel like you’re flushing out all the bad stuff (i.e. me and my bad diet coke habit).

The nutritionist I’ve worked with was telling me that now they’re recommending you drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces – basically if you weigh 150, then 75 ounces per day should be your minimum. You don’t even want to know my minimum. I swore I was going to drown myself the first day I followed it. ;)
    Elena recently posted..The Domino Effect Goal

John told me the same thing the other day about drinking half your weight in ounces. Maybe he was talking to your nutritionist.

9. I’m so bad about drinking water and I really need to do a better job of it. It’s just so boring sometimes, you know?
    Rach (DonutsMama) recently posted..Two

Absolutely love this, girl! And you’re so very right – water and martinis and lattes {but mostly water!} make the world go round!
    Galit Breen recently posted..That Tug

I am a huge water drinker. I have 1 cup of coffee in the morning (which I never really finish…thanks, kids) and the rest of the day is all water. I feel so much better when I drink water instead of the other stuff.
    Kimberly recently posted..Focusing On Me

12. Susi
    Twitter: bocafrau

The minute the holidays were over I started watching my water intake again. I realized that I had slipped. I’m back to chugging it daily and it already has made me feel better. I have also cut out all sugary treats and sweets for right now. When I get the munchies I go for fruit instead.
    Susi recently posted..A Barge, A House and Water {Wordless Wednesday}