Another Reason I Love Apple

I have always had cable TV.

Always.

The carrier has changed from Comcast to Charter to AT&T U-Verse depending on the price and where I lived.

Each year I’ve had to call the company I was using to negotiate lower rates when the promotions expired.

Last month was no different. My bill with AT&T went from $160ish to $200ish for cable TV and Internet. I called and tried to work my magic and get the bill lowered.

The best they would do? Lowering my bill by about $10.

So I did what any normal person would do. I called the competition to see what kind of offer they would give me.

After what seemed like hours on the phone with Charter arguing that I didn’t need a home phone and some other BS I ended up with nothing better from them.

Instead of giving up completely and letting the cable companies win, I went to my Facebook page and asked them about Apple TV.

(Pause here to make sure everyone knows how much I already love my other Apple products).

I received a few comments from people who have Apple TV and they had nothing bad to say.

I was convinced.

After returning home from Vegas, the husband and I headed straight for the Apple store (aka my version of heaven).

Our cable has been cancelled and 2 Apple TV devices are hooked up. (I only have Internet now from AT&T for about $50/month – can’t live without my Interwebz).

Hulu Plus for $7.99 a month provides most of the TV shows we like to watch.

Netflix instant streaming (plus we get 2 DVDs at a time) for $19.98 a month provides us with other options for shows.

What’s not available on those two we can get on iTunes for a fee depending on the program.

The only thing I’m missing is my local news and Jeopardy but the news can be streamed to the TV from my phone or iPad when it’s playing live.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you can stream and mirror from your other Apple devices right to your TV.

It’s awesome.

I can even interrupt the kids when they are watching TV with pictures of me.

Ha!

Instead of spending $200ish a month on cable and Internet we now only pay about $80 and Apple is another part of my life.

Oh Apple, how I love you and all your wonderful inventions. My kids even love them.

My friends, have you considered switching from cable to Apple TV? Or have you already left the dark side? If not, I think you should.

Note…no one paid me to write this post. I hate that cable TV is so expensive and that you have to call every year to get lower rates. I really love Apple and how easy they make life for me so I wanted to share.

18 Responses to Another Reason I Love Apple

You sure are a sucker for fruit :)

yup, we made the jump to the darkside a while ago. I hated spending so much on cable in a language I didn’t want to hear. apple changed my life.
    Barbara recently posted..Apples Everywhere

3. By Word of Mouth Musings
    Twitter: ByWordsMusings

They are so not on the ball those Apple people – I mean really – they have not signed you up as their spokeswoman yet … what is wrong with them? ;)
    By Word of Mouth Musings recently posted..The post where I tell you the truth …

4. Mad Woman behind the Blog
    Twitter: madwomandiary

Adonis bought an apple tv box over 2 years ago and I had no use for it. But now we use it all the time to stream NetFlix. And we’ve got another box to my still under construction gym.
    While I don’t think I could ever take the leap to give up on cable, the Apple TV has made a HUGE difference in our viewing experience. I’m a happy girl.

I was a little nervous to give up cable and I have to say I still miss Jeopardy. I liked watching that show and attempting to kick ass at the answers (which happened rarely).

5. Elaine

I’m a tad embarassed to say that I did not even know Apple TV existed. We certainly will not have it here. My hubby dislikes Apple and he rules the t.v. world around here…
    Elaine recently posted..I wish she would have stayed

Well it’s not for everyone.

But I don’t understand how anyone can dislike Apple. It sounds so foreign to me. ;)

We don’t have Apple TV, but I have a friend that does and it’s pretty awesome. But, duh. Apple can do no wrong!
    Tonya recently posted..Blur

7. Susi
    Twitter: bocafrau

We have basic cable through our community association. The cable company changed their service here and we needed adapters to be able to even get cable. Only three were free after that they wanted us to pay. So we got a Roku instead… Love Netflix, Amazon TV etc. i wouldn’t pay for cable anymore if we had to! :)
    Susi recently posted..Tuesday’s Quote {The good and bad}

8. Alison says:

Apple needs to hire you :)
    Alison recently posted..Not Quite Right

I absolutely hate our cable company. I knew Apple had tv, but I didn’t know it was that cheap. I may need to make that jump and join you on the dark side.
    Kimberly recently posted..Night Time Guilt

If you purchase shows from iTunes to watch it can get expensive but so far we have not purchased any from iTunes. Instead we only watch what is on Netflix and Hulu.