Our Weekend As Santa Cruz Slugs

Last year we went to Monterey, California for our family trip to the ocean. This year, we decided to hit Santa Cruz, California. Home of the Banana Slug mascot.

Since we are now homeschooling, we decided to incorporate as many “learning” things as we could into this vacation.

So we visited the Seymour Center at Long’s Marine Lab where the girls were able to pet sharks, starfish, see dolphins, and learn about the bones of a grey whale.

We looked at trees and other plants at the UCSC Arboretum (not as much fun as seeing animals).

There was a visit to the Santa Cruz Mission.

Of course, we had to inspect the tide pools at Natural Bridges State Beach.

There was a trip to the Monterey Bay Sanctuary Exploration Center.

We walked along the wharf (and sat on the sign).

Of course no trip to Santa Cruz is complete unless you spend a day at the Beach Boardwalk. Little people really loved the rides. Me? I was happy to watch.

Then we played at the beach. My favorite place.

I was granted a night out to visit with my friend Christine (The Aums) who was a huge help in planning my trip and she brought me liquor balls (OMG AWESOME!). We enjoyed a few cocktails at a dimly lit bar where we saw some colorfully drunk people. Unfortunately no pictures were taken but I did write down the ingredients from my cocktails. Priorities, right?

If you are ever looking for a place to vacation along the NorCal coast, I highly recommend Santa Cruz. I’ve been going there since I was a kid and I love it. And so did my kids. We’ll be back. Soon (I hope).

Joining The Funk and The Mash for #iPPP as some of these pictures are from my iPhone.

53 Responses to Our Weekend As Santa Cruz Slugs

1. Julie says:

Your girls are so beautiful and bright! Looks like a fantastic trip.
    Julie recently posted..State of the Uterus Address – Week 15 #iPPP

Oh, that looks like so very much FUN!

(That’s right near my old stomping grounds! So very many memories there!)
    Galit Breen recently posted..Back to the Old, Front to the New

3. Alison says:

That looks really, really fun. Also, nice weather!
    Alison recently posted..It’s Not You, It’s Me

4. LOVE Santa Cruz :) Hubs & I went to the area for our honeymoon, spent a day pretending to be banana slugs – this post really took me back! Thanks for the smiles!
    Nerdmommathfun recently posted..Aaaaand sometimes the experiments DON’T work.

5. Susi
    Twitter: bocafrau

Looks like you guys had a great time. I really want to see some tide pools one of these days.
    Susi recently posted..She had a great day… {Wordless Wednesday}

6. Greta
    Twitter: gfunkified

What a fun trip! And oh my gosh, you crammed a lot of learning in. Go you! Great pictures. And jealous that you got to meet Christine! (what in the world are liquor balls??)
    Greta recently posted..Creatures of the Night #iPPP

7. That looks awesome!!! And, I’m so jealous you got to hang out with Christine!! I want to meet you both some day!
    Runnermom-jen recently posted..Photos, Photos, Photos

Okay, both your girls are beautiful. There’s no doubt about that.
    But what’s up with little miss photogenic?!! The camera is loving her! Really.
    Mirjam recently posted..Delight

That looks like a great trip!!
    Barbara recently posted..Fall is in the Air

10. Christine @ Quasi Agitato
    Twitter: csiracusa

Great pictures. What a photogenic family.

I’m sure you already know Jessica from the blog Close Enough. She’s been homeschooling for several years now. She may be an interesting person to talk to. Plus, she’s awesome.
    Christine @ Quasi Agitato recently posted..Cocky Mom Rides Again!

11. angela says:

Amazing trip! It is NOT a weekend trip for us, but I wish it could be.
    angela recently posted..Energy, Enthusiasm, and Exhaustion

12. Mama Pants says:

I love all of this. It looks like you guys made many many memories on your trip :) And I’m always a sucker for the “feet in the surf” pics. Love it.
    Mama Pants recently posted..Sometimes You Win…

13. Nicole says:

That looks so fun. What a great place!
    Nicole recently posted..Tony Romo and his huge boner

Looks like a fun weekend. I have never been to Santa Cruz, but have always wanted to go.
    Tonya recently posted..Dear Bobo

15. Sue Robinson
    Twitter: MotherhoodnMe

Yay Slugs! My college mascot. I am so glad you guys had a fun time. SC is the best.
    Sue Robinson recently posted..life

I have nevre been there but I’d love to go. How about I sign up for your schooling and you can take me there. Promise that I will be a good student who will fetch you drinks all day.
    Kimberly recently posted..We Will Just Overlook The Obvious

17. Amanda Austin

What a fun trip! Your girls looked pretty excited for that historical site ;)
    Amanda Austin recently posted..A Very Pinterest Weekend

18. Jamie@SouthMainMuse
    Twitter: southmainmuse

I’m terrified of the homeschooling thing…but I get the beach thing. I grew up going to the beach too. Only been to West Coast beaches once in my life. Neat how it is so different. I need to visit more beaches in this lifetime.
    Jamie@SouthMainMuse recently posted..Running in the Windy City. (Or running like the wind?) Nope. Running in the Windy City.

So fun! I’d actually never even heard of Santa Cruz until I saw someone vacay there this summer on instagram. I think it would’ve really been awesome if you hopped in that boat ride at the boardwalk.

20. Alma says:

Looks like it was a great learning experience as well as a great time. You have a beautiful family.
    Alma recently posted..The Making of a Home

21. Loved meeting you and your beautiful family in person…Kicking myself for not getting a picture! But where’s your shot of the shuttle?! You have to post that one! Glad you’re enjoying the liquor bombs…maybe they will inspire a future martini?
    Christine@theaums recently posted..Socialization Smocialization

I forgot about the shuttle shot but I do have it saved in my photos.

And I think I need to find more of those liquor balls to get some martini ideas.

22. marie says:

Cool, Santa Cruz was my beach growing up, went to the Boardwalk many a nights. We had to take crazy Hwy 17 to get there, yikes.

It’s so nice that your trips don’t hinder on the girls school schedule.
    marie recently posted..Reality Bites

23. Julia says:

Your vacation looks beautiful, that’s so nice that you got a night out with your friend.
    Julia recently posted..Simply September

I’m kinda jealous. I want to hang out with you and enjoy a cocktail. And what’s a liquor ball?
    Kimberly recently posted..Essence Of Now

Maybe at BlogHer13 we can get cocktails.

It’s a chocolate ball with liquor inside. It’s like a mini version of heaven.

Your girls are getting so big! I love all the pics…looks like a great time!
    Natalie recently posted..Two is Definitely Louder than One

26. Robin | Farewell, Stranger

You’re the best teacher ever! :) That looks like a really fun trip.
    Robin | Farewell, Stranger recently posted..Birth Conversations

According to my kids I’m not a very good teacher and everything is my fault.

I think I like your opinion better.