Sunshine Is Good For The Soul

A few weeks ago, my sister graduated from college with her A.A. (way to go sis!).

In between wrangling 5 kids, I was able to hear a few words the speakers said.

One of them was a science professor (I think) and she rambled on about not liking public speaking (who does?) and how she was nervous.

But then, she started talking about nature and the way we live our lives today.

-We drive everywhere we need to go.

-We buy our food in stores.

-We exercise in our homes or at gyms.

-The only bird chirping a lot of us pay attention to is on Twitter.

After hearing this professor’s words, I started looking at my own life.

-I drive almost everywhere I need to go, the only time I really walk somewhere is if we are camping.

-I buy most of our food from the 3 grocery stores we shop at every week, the only exception is the few months a year our garden produces or we go to the Farmer’s Market.

-I exercise downstairs on my elliptical while reading a book or messing with my phone.

-I have sent over 55,000 tweets since January 2011, that’s a lot of Twitter chirping.

I realized I needed to make some changes.

I need to be outside more.

And so do the kids.

Under the bright blue sky and the puffy white clouds.

With the grass, sand, and dirt under our toes.

So here I sit, at the patio table outside, writing with a pen and a pad of paper.

Enjoying the great outdoors.

Just as Mother Nature intended.

Mother Nature also wanted me to be happy which is why she created pomegranates that can be juiced so I can make my very favorite drink – the Pomegranate Martini that we have featured over at One Martini today.

62 Responses to Sunshine Is Good For The Soul

Twitter: AlisonSWLee

I want a patio!
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..Notes To Self: The 3am Edition

2. angela says:

I’ve been trying to get outside more, too! I like your toe polish :)
    angela recently posted..Fingers Crossed

3. Greta
    Twitter: gfunkified

I’m glad I’m not the only one with flip flop tan lines. That’s proof right there that we’re outside some at least. But yeah, there’s nothing better than fresh air, for the lungs and the soul.
    Greta recently posted..Walking For Kittens.

I’ve been trying to get outside more often now too (at least when the heat doesn’t try to kill me).

If your feet are already that tan I kind of hate you.
    Kimberly recently posted..Yesterday I Was Ugly

That picture was from last August when we went to Monterey. I have a tan line on my feet already this year but not that dark. Yet.

I would like to spend more time outside too. If I lived where you do!
    Bridget recently posted..Run. Blog. Give.

6. Jessica says:

I love this. I think going outside is my therapy. Correction, going outside without any electronic devices is my therapy. Since the weather is nice here, we’ve been going out daily and we’re all better for it.
    Jessica recently posted..How to Be Present With Your Children at Indoor Play Spaces

I could not agree with you more, Jessica. I am SO looking forward to hanging out outside on my patio watching Handsome play in the grass. One week to go….!!
    Eve recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Tantrums and Flowers

Love this! Couldn’t agree more. As I’ve stated several times, I try to be as outdoors’ish as possible. The sun is truly good for the soul!
    Elena recently posted..35.

9. Erin
    Twitter: UniquelyEN

Such a good point. Thanks for the reminder!

My cousin graduated last year . . . aren’t graduations fun with little one?!

Congrats to your sister :)
    Erin recently posted..The Swing on the Porch . . . Our Story

Luckily at the graduation we were able to sit in the back where the grass was so the kids could play.

10. John
    Twitter: daddyrunsalot

Hooray for the outdoors.

I have trips camping & to the beach lined up — I’ll be unplugged. I’ll be in the sun. I will have a goofy grin on my face. It will be spectacular.

Now that we’re in the “good weather” part of the year, I’m going to try to spend less time in the gym and more time outside. Following a morning run with pushups & situps on the deck, just so that I don’t have to use the gym for my weightlifting. Maybe bicycling to work every now & then . . . I used to do that most every day. I miss it.
    John recently posted..Where I like my kids

11. marie says:

Couldn’t agree more. And I get the same flip flop tan lines every year :)
    marie recently posted..Sweet 16

12. Mrs. Weber

GREAT reminder to get out more…I couldn’t agree more!

And for the record, I love how you always work in your latest martini – creative work there, girl :)
    Mrs. Weber recently posted..10 Things My Hubby Deserves For Father’s Day

13. I can’t decide what I love more:

Your toes

Your flip flop tan

Your Pomegranate Martini

Then again, why should I decide?
    Enjoy.
    julie gardner recently posted..A Nightcap By Any Other Name Still Smells…oh hell, I’m too tired for this.

14. Susi
    Twitter: bocafrau

Interesting thoughts and something I’m definitely working on myself. I used to work out on the elliptical and read or play with my phone… now I walk 2 miles every other day with my neighbor. I love having a walking buddy and being outside. Also, thanks to the pool in the backyard we get outside quite a bit! I have the same tan lines as I practically live in my flip flops year round. Now I just need to find some time to paint my toes a pretty shade of pink!!!
    Susi recently posted..I’m Baking… Thursdays {Scones}

First of all, you have the prettiest feet and toes. Love the pedicure.

As for your post, I couldn`t agree with you more. This summer is THE summer I plan to be active with my girls. They are only little for so long and I don`t want to miss out on the best part of them growing up.
    Bruna recently posted..the letter

16. I have been doing the same thing. Unplugging, being outdoors, even leaving my phone (on purpose) at home when we go to the park or on walks…it’s so nice to be “unreachable”. The great outdoors do wonders for your soul.
    P.S. This is going to sound weird, but you have nice feet. I have ugly runner’s feet.
    xo
    Runnermom-jen recently posted..How They’ve Grown…

I used to never go anywhere without my phone but now I don’t mind leaving it inside when we are out playing and I enjoy that I don’t get cell signal when we are camping.

17. Hopes@Staying Afloat!
    Twitter: HStayingAfloat

If only the sun would shine in my neck of the woods I’d be out in it as much as possible!!

Glad you are taking some time to just get out!
    Hopes@Staying Afloat! recently posted..One Moment at a Time

18. Caroline says:

Wow! Writing with a pen, that’s awesome! Oh, and I love the flip flop tan!!

19. Mad Woman behind the Blog
    Twitter: madwomandiary

AMEN!

20. Bonnie Way
    Twitter: KoalaBearWriter

I agree! My daughters are great at getting me outside because they want to play with their friends or go to the beach. Without them, I’d just stare at my computer. :)
    Bonnie Way recently posted..Notes from Write! Vancouver

21. Robin | Farewell Stranger

I’ve been thinking about this lately too. I need to walk my dog more (and more than just around the block) so I get outside more. And one thing I want to do is get outdoor furniture that I like for our new house so I can sit on the deck. Not terribly ambitious, but there you go.
    Robin | Farewell Stranger recently posted..Lost, v2

22. AnnMarie
    Twitter: queenofchaosmom

I have got to do this! I am so awful. I have become a bit of a hermit, not wanting to socialize and it has kept me indoors because when I am outside, my neighbors all come over to chat. I need to teach my kids to love the outdoors, too. This was a great inspirational post and I am going to really try. :)
    AnnMarie recently posted..Summer is Here and Some Changes

I love it! Thank you for sharing such a powerful message. I, too need to spend more time outside. The sun is glorious and makes me so happy.
    Tonya recently posted..Vacation Highlights

Love this, friend. (so much.)
    Galit Breen recently posted..Stretch

25. Jessica
    Twitter: Spitupchronicle

First of all, I am obsessed with Flip Flop tan lines.

Anyway, one of my favorite things to do is sit outside with my coffee in the mornings and read. I really should be getting my kids outside more often than we are. Thanks for the reminder.
    Jessica recently posted..From The Mouth Of B

26. How funny. I am outdoors ALL the time and after I read this I was still all, yup, I need to do that more.
    Christine@theaums recently posted..A Funny Book To Go With Your Wine

((The only bird chirping a lot of us pay attention to is on Twitter.))

Jessica, how true and saaaaad is this?

Great Post. Xx
    My Inner Chick recently posted..Poetry, Jimmy Choos, & False Eyelashes

I’m glad that you’re embracing the pen and paper like I did. It’s so freeing.
    Enjoy the outdoors and those smiles.
    Kimberly recently posted..Secret Mommy-hood Confession Saturday

29. I think being outside is so important. But it does put a cramp on my blogging. :)
    Natalie @MamaTrack recently posted..A Carousel Ride

Yes sunshine is good for the soul…it always makes me feel better!
    Natalie recently posted..Happy SITS Day!

I’ve made this change too. And because if it I’m finding it hard to keep up with blogging. Family is taking a front seat now.
    Leighann recently posted..Behind the Firey Doors

32. jackie says:

So true! I have to get out more and enjoy the outdoors with my son. Plus, the sunshine always makes you feel so much better!