Why Ask Why?

Jumping2

Don’t put that cord around your neck.

Don’t go outside without shoes on.

Don’t pee in your panties.

Don’t hit your sister.

All of these statements plus many more I have said in the last week.

And all of them were met with the response of “why?”

It’s obvious to any adult why I said these statements.

Wrapping a cord around your neck is dangerous as is going outside without shoes. Peeing in your pants is just wrong and hitting is never nice.

But to a 2 year old I guess the why isn’t as clear.

I want her to question everything around her.

To learn more about the world she lives in and to not have blind faith in the wisdom of those around her.

But some days with some statements, the why’s just drive me crazy.

As I respond with a logical explanation she counters with another why. Of course this evenutally leads to my final response of “because I said so.”

Which isn’t the answer I want her to remember, but it’s the only one I can give so that she stops asking why.

Jumping

Today over at One Martini, we partnered up with Eve from Mama’s Hungry to create a food/cocktail pairing with our Taste of Tropics Margaritas. Be sure to check that out.

70 Responses to Why Ask Why?

Twitter: AlisonSWLee

I’ve decided to make up outrageous answers when asked why.

I know, I’m so going to rock this.
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..Neither Here Nor There

We did that with Hayley. It was hilarious when she looked at us with a puzzled face after our explanations.

2. The “whys” are driving me crazy these days. It’s nonstop.

Solidarity.
    Natalie @MamaTrack recently posted..A Pink Baby

3. Hahaha!! I feel your pain, Jess ;)
    Runnermom-jen recently posted..Running is my Super Power

4. Susi
    Twitter: bocafrau

But why, mommy, why? Do I ever remember that. My little one still does that from time to time… I remember my boy being the worst of the three. Kids will be kids!!! And yes, I told you so.
    Susi recently posted..I love freckles

5. angela says:

I always say I want my kids to question everything in life. Well, except for me.
    angela recently posted..Small Surpises and Little Kindnesses

Dude, they tag team me with the why’s. I have 2 of them asking me non-stop. It’s so not fair.
    Kimberly recently posted..On This Day

7. Nichole
    Twitter: nicholebeaudry

This is the best line that I’ve read in a LONG time: “Peeing in your pants is just wrong.”
    That, my friend, is perfection. :)
    Nichole recently posted..Parenting with grace

Because I said so is perfectly acceptable. It makes sense to you now that you’re a mom too doesn’t it?
    Bridget recently posted..The Real R & R

9. Erin
    Twitter: UniquelyEN

Oh girly -You need to hit her back with “Well why do you think?” When she has to answer you back the ‘whys’ lessen. Also, it’s a good thinking skill and it helps her to remember (well makes her more likely to remember that is) why not to do things.
    Erin recently posted..4:30 AM totally do-able

10. Kate
    Twitter: andthenkate

You know, sometimes “Because I said so” is the only thing left to say. I swore I would never say it once I had children, but here I am. It packs a certain I’m-the-mother-allow-me-to-lord-this-one-thing-over-you punch, too.

I’ll second reversing the question back, too. Sometimes that two minutes of frantic toddler thinking buys you enough time to go to the bathroom.
    Kate recently posted..Now I’m wondering whether the blow-up doll can somehow recycle into a baby toy.

Oh I know I see this in my future very soon! My friend has a 5 year old and that’s every other word for her….
    Natalie recently posted..Wordless Wednesday-Say Cheese!

12. Maggie S. says:

It is developmentally appropriate(in fact, a little advanced). She is actually trying to grasp a firm uniform definition of the term, “Why.” She is compiling all the responses to see if they match up with what she is thinking. In a little while she will be past it.
    Maggie S. recently posted..Trying to be Super Proud in the Middle of All This Tired.

I say because I said so all the time. I ever thought I’d do it, but it does help to stay sane.
    Mirjam recently posted..Picture love

The “why’s” are a lot to take at times! I feel like I get them so much more from Cooper than with Lanagan. L has always been my easy going kid – if I say no, he usually doesn’t question it. Cooper on the other hand? Stubborn little man needs to know a reason for EVERYTHING!
    Elena recently posted..Number Thirteen

H has been my easy going one although she did ask why a lot. There is nothing easy about L (in fact, I have a post in the works about it).

15. Nicole says:

Ah. Once my son fed my dog potting soil, which he then barfed up all over our carpet. “AND THAT IS WHY YOU DON’T FEED THE DOG DIRT!”
    Nicole recently posted..Psst. Wanna come see my basement?

16. John
    Twitter: daddyrunsalot

My kids haven’t figured out “why” yet . . . and I’m very grateful for that.

And, since they seem to be developing a language all of their own, I’m hopeful that they’ll just be able to answer the “why” to each other, without my involvement.
    John recently posted..Where I recount an evening trip for ice cream

17. Danielle
    Twitter: CandGsMom

AH! I know! I cannot stand all the why. Mine ask why even when they already know the answer. Like, are you testing me? Making sure I’m being consistent? I usually just end up saying “Mommy needs you to stop talking.” Probably not nice, but at least it’s honest!!
    Danielle recently posted..How I Earned Carter

Many times I have said “please stop talking.” Just a little quiet time can go a long way.

18. Aubrey Anne says:

Oh, God yes. I am so frustrated with the “why”s, but even more than that… the NO’s. All I get from Max is “NO” or “I WILL!” if I tell him not to do something.
    Aubrey Anne recently posted..Guest posting at Sperk*!

19. Laura K says:

“Because I said so,” and “Because I’m the mom, that’s why” are probably my most often repeated statements nowadays.

My kids, though, are now old enough to protest with, “That’s not a good enough reason, Mom.”

“Oh really? I beg to differ. Now wipe that toothpaste off the wall.”

20. Gina says:

OH yes- the why!!!!! I have a list a mile long. You made me chuckle!!
    Gina recently posted..The Black Reflector

21. Teresa
    Twitter: TeresaThinks

I hate the word WHY. I can’t believe they trap me with it EVERY TIME. I see your daughter is turning into a jumping daredevil? Yeah, mine too.
    Teresa recently posted..silly girl

22. Jessica says:

Oh, the why questions. They’re never ending. I try to answer them all, but sometimes, I give up and settle with diversion tactics to get her to think about something else.
    Jessica recently posted..Spring Cleaning| Teething Baby

Oh how I get this, you.

I want them to question the world, just not necessarily me all the time! Ahem. :)

(Love this one!)
    Galit Breen recently posted..Bringing Home A Third Baby

24. Elizabeth
    Twitter: mommonsenseblog

Can definitely relate! I do love that my daughter is curious and wants to understand the world around her, but sometimes it can make you go cross-eyed. And a lot of times she starts asking questions I don’t know the answer to…at which point I have no problem admitting that I don’t. If we’re able to, we’ll look up the answer. If we’re driving and aren’t near my trusty friend, Google, I tell her, “Maybe Daddy knows…you can ask him later!” =)
    Elizabeth recently posted..Frugal Fashionista Friday: May Edition

25. marie says:

Just tell her to google it :) Haha, that’s what I tell my kids all the time because the questions they ask now I never know the answer to. Just last night my son asked “How small are atoms” & “What does the O and K in Ok stand for” I told him we’d google it today.
    marie recently posted..Girls gone (not so) Wild

Ha! I have no idea how to answer those questions. When Hayley comes to with things like that I make her google them.

26. Elaine

Just another trait of our kids that has its pros and cons, right? ;) She sure is cute…
    Elaine recently posted..Then and Now

27. Bonnie Way
    Twitter: KoalaBearWriter

My daughter is four and she’s still in the “why” stage. Sometimes, I honestly have no answer beyond “because I said so” (or “because my mom told me so”). Or sometimes it would require a huge explanation… but I do want her to learn too… :)
    Bonnie Way recently posted..Flowers for Friday

28. Mad Woman behind the Blog
    Twitter: madwomandiary

“It makes Dora sad.” is awesome.

And the why’s, I don’t know how many times I wanted to shoot myself in the head.

And just for this, I think I’ll go home and may myself a stiff drink. Shall I pour 2?

29. You know, sometimes they just need to know that they should/shouldn’t do things b/c YOU’RE the adult and you said so. Yeah, I know that’s not going to fly over here either.
    Rach (DonutsMama) recently posted..Life’s Lessons: Out & About & I Miss the Blogosphere

30. Sometimes I hit back with a “Why not?”
    Kids will just question everything, won’t they? It’s amusing and irritating at the same time :). But at the end of the day, it’s the cuteness that prevails…
    The Pepperrific Life recently posted..Taking a Leap of Faith

31. Nikky44 says:

Just wait one more year!!! she will ask why about the answers you gave her!! That would be less fun!
    “Wrapping a cord around your neck is dangerous” why is it dangerous? because it can kill you? why would it kill me? because you wouldn’t breath? why wouldn’t I breath…….
    Nikky44 recently posted..A Cry for Help

She and Blake are meant to be. They can just ask each other “why?” all day long while we drink mojitos.
    Carri recently posted..Throat Punch Thursday: Leather Purse For a Face Edition

I remember the why stage. Little B is almost six and her thing is asking WHAT IF … non-stop and it drives me crazy because, sometimes, us Moms really just want to be quiet and not answer so many questions.

Your youngest is growing up SO fast!
    Bruna recently posted..mother’s day: what I really want!

34. Paulette
    Twitter: LittleMsP

Oh how I hated “because I said so” as a kid and I swear I must say it way more than my dad ever did. I once saw a bumper sticker that said “Because I’m the Mama, that’s why.” At least it’s not, “:Because I said so”
    Paulette recently posted..Smile and Pay Attention

Now that I’m the parent, I understand why my parents said it to me. The circle of life, I guess.

The “whys” drive me crazy too! If only we had the perfect answers each time they were asked. And when I say perfect, I mean suitable to THEM!
    Tonya recently posted..My Voice