Where Does She Come Up With Stuff?

Hayley is overall a really good kid. But she can be unmotivated and lazy at times so the husband created this elaborate reward system where she gets points which are equivalent to pennies and can use those penny points to buy stuff. It’s similar to what they do at her school except they use dollar points instead of pennies.

To start this new program, the husband had Hayley make a list of items she wanted. That was pretty much all the direction he gave her.

Her list of items?

1) A school ID

2) A kid job

3) A car

4) Angel wings

5) 2 cookies every day

6) Cootie catchers

Yeah, this is what my kid comes up when given the chance to get anything she wants.

Needless to say, her list of rewards was modified a bit.

Although, I am more than happy to give her a kid job whenever she wants one. I could use someone to make my bed and rub my feet everyday.

Over at One Martini at a Time we have another Valentine’s Day drink featured. This one is a Sparkling Strawberry Cocktail that looks and tastes very pretty.

85 Responses to Where Does She Come Up With Stuff?

What is a cootie catcher? And why would you want to catch a cootie on purpose anyway?
    Kimberly recently posted..Dear Weekend…

Twitter: AlisonSWLee

Can I just echo Kimsley’s comment?
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..Love, Life and Loss

3. Hahaha!! Oh my goodness, that picture! Hilarious! And who wouldn’t want two cookies every day?
    Great list :)
    Runnermom-jen recently posted..Love Actually…

4. C @ Kid Things
    Twitter: kidthingsnet

Um, I’m almost afraid to know what a cootie catcher is. I’m pretty sure I would have made the 2 cookies every day my #1.
    C @ Kid Things recently posted..An Imperfect Real World Story

Haley’s list cracked me up! Love her! I’m impressed she only wrote down TWO cookies.

I like the idea your husband came up with. My oldest daughter could use a little motivation also. :)
    Grumpy Grateful Mom recently posted..Good News! Regression Repression

So far the reward system has worked for everything but keeping her room cleaned. Not sure what to do about that yet.

Here is a tutorial for make your own cootiecatcher. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cootie-Catcher . Hayley can send me a cookie Andre wil call it even ;)
    Stasha recently posted..Monday Listicles

7. Mad Woman behind the Blog
    Twitter: madwomandiary

What would motivate her to write a better list?
    BTW, my almost 4 year old’s list (if she were given the opportunity) would include Binky time and milk. …both things she gets without any prerequisites. Silly girls.
    Mad Woman behind the Blog recently posted..Push Pause please.

It just so happens I have a few cootie catchers lying around. I’ll send one out to Hayley asap.
    Elena recently posted..Homemade Chicken Tenders and Chicken Parmesan. 2 Recipes. 1 Post.

Hee! Love it!

(And I can’t decide if I’m more curious or afraid to ask my kids what they’d *really* want!)
    Galit Breen recently posted..Memories Captured February Linky!

10. Kir
    Twitter: thekircorner

I would want 2 cupcakes every day (and no calories in them..you have to ASK THE RIGHT WAY) ;)
    I am ready to ask my kids what they would like every single day….that will be a funny exchange I’m sure.

Does the cootie catcher come with a complimentary bottle of hand sanitizer?
    Kimberly recently posted..Arcana Dea Is Something Beautifully Hopeful

I also would like a cootie catcher and two cookies everyday! (Fat free cookies that won’t grow my ass, please mkaythanks.)
    Eve recently posted..Chocolate Chip Coffee Muffins

Hahahaha! it just means, that she already has everything.. (or she’s just crazy..)
    Mirjam recently posted..Firstborn

14. John
    Twitter: daddyrunsalot

Ummmm, cootie catchers?
    John recently posted..Where, sometimes, a smile is enough

15. Kids are the best, her list is so funny, no adult could have thought that stuff up.
    Marie@feedingfive recently posted..The Whole Truth

16. Ado says:

Ok, am I out of it or what – what on earth is a cootie catcher? (-:
    What a photo, such attitude! She’s got fire in her belly. I always admires moms of kids w. fire in their bellies (I’m one of ‘em). (-:
    Ado recently posted..True Love

I mean who wouldn’t want a cootie catcher? :) I say if she does want a job then yeah rubbing your feet sounds like a good for her ha ha!
    Natalie recently posted..I’m Not Here Today…

Never mind her list, that picture is priceless!

Classic.
    Tonya recently posted..Remembering Whitney

19. Miss Marina Star
    Twitter: MissMarinaStar

I’m very interested in how you turned this list into manageable rewards. Because if you’re really giving out cars for pennies, then I’m applying to be your next kiddo!
    Miss Marina Star recently posted..My Love

20. Roxanne says:

How do these people not know what a cootie catcher is??

I should hire H to come do my laundry and clean my house. Does she do bathrooms?
    Roxanne recently posted..Meme thing, via Handflapper

21. Katie E
    Twitter: euregirlsandboy

My kids never ask for jobs – I think because they never like what we ask them to do. This list is hilarious!
    Katie E recently posted..Monday Listicles: Love (Featuring Me and My Valentine)

22. I love her ideas! Angel wings would be cool!
    JDaniel4′s Mom recently posted..Muffin Tin Monday- Homemade Granola Heart

Our neighbor actually brought some angel wings over my daughter the other day not knowing that they were supposed to be a reward for her.

23. Jess
    Twitter: jessesco

I want to hear more about this reward system! I need Ava to get more motivated to help around the house and do more homework. She really doesn’t have much of a concept of money so this would work!
    Jess recently posted..Irony is…

I’ll probably post more about it soon but basically she has a list of chores to do everyday and she gets points for them (each one is worth 1-4 points). If she completes the task she gets the points, she will also get points taken away if she doesn’t do a good job on certain tasks (like cleaning her room). It’s working for everything but keeping her room clean so far. We are going to start taking points away for her room in the next week or so if she doesn’t do better on it.

24. Inelegant Life
    Twitter: Inelegant_Life

We used to do Daddy Dollars at my house. I printed dollars that had a picture of my husband and daughter on them. They didn’t work well, mostly because Daddy gives her what she wants when she wants it, and because I got tired of trying to keep up with the system. If my daughter’s Christmas wish list is any indicator, the little shit’s list would include an iPad2, an iPhone, all the cute clothes in the mall, a new truck for Daddy, streaks in her hair, 2 York peppermint patties every single day, and no bedtime.
    Inelegant Life recently posted..My Child Will Never Act That Way

Sometimes I think the hardest part with these reward systems is the follow through. If it’s too much work for us then we often stop doing it.

Your daughter has quite the list of demands. I think they would need to be modified a bit if you were going to do this reward system. ;)

25. MommaKiss
    Twitter: mommakiss

Doesn’t she know you can MAKE the cootie catcher for free? Sheesh.

That kid job – get on it!

My kid would totally ask for a school ID, too. He thinks it’ll get him in to high school (at 6)
    MommaKiss recently posted..It’s true

She has made many cootie catchers before which is why I was shocked it was on her list.

Why would anyone want to get into high school sooner? I was in a rush to get out of that place.

26. angela says:

When she turned two, the only thing Abbey wanted for her birthday was underwear. This year it was suitcases. I have a feeling she will have a list like this in her future :)

Underwear and suitcases are both very practical. I have asked for both in the past but I was slightly older than Abbey.

27. Sarcasm Goddess
    Twitter: sarcasmgoddess

Haha! Oh my gosh that is a fantastic list.
    Sarcasm Goddess recently posted..It’s Like Interview With a Vampire, But With Fewer Vampires

28. Teresa
    Twitter: TeresaThinks

I LOVED cootie catchers!! OMG!
    Teresa recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day!

29. By Word of Mouth Musings
    Twitter: ByWordsMusings

Okay so the foreign chick would like an explanation on cootie catcher????
    By Word of Mouth Musings recently posted..Muse on a Monday – The Kir Corner

30. Kristy @PampersandPinot
    Twitter: PampersandPinot

Those are some interesting requests! We have a sticker chart here and whenever he gets 10 stickers on an area (following directions, sleeping in his own bed, eating his food at the table, and nice talk), then I go downstairs and pull a prize from this bag of junk I hide. Mini monster trucks and such. Whatever works!
    Kristy @PampersandPinot recently posted..Highlights and Lowlights

I did the same thing with Hayley when she was younger and I was teaching her to sleep in her own bed at night. It worked fantastic. I’ll probably use it again on my youngest in a couple months but she is a bit more stubborn.

31. Jen Has A Pen
    Twitter: jenrambles

What the eff??? Although, to be honest, I’m pretty sure I’d list “2 cookies everyday” on my list too. She’s so funny. I think I could suggest a few things for her. A dachshund puppy perhaps? ;-)
    Jen Has A Pen recently posted..Preparin’ For Childbearin’

Grandma has two dachshund puppies so my girls love those dogs. I’m sure they would like their own but we already have two big (dumb) dogs at home and daddy said no more.

32. Audrey says:

I’ll take 2 cookies a day and a kid job!!! Sounds good to me :)
    Audrey recently posted..Monday Listicles – Love Edition

Dude. I want two cookies every day and a new car, too!
    Carri recently posted..I Should Probably Leave This to the Professionals

34. Practical Parenting
    Twitter: katiefhurley

Does she need any stuffed animals? Because that’s all Riley ever puts on her lists these days, and the collection is overflowing at this point. Love the picture.
    Practical Parenting recently posted..Rainbow of Love

35. Jessica
    Twitter: Spitupchronicle

First of all, I love your reward system.

Second off, I also would like a school ID….if your giving them away. That way I can stop using the elderly discount at the movies and use the student discount as well.
    Jessica recently posted..Meet My Neighbor Friday: Mommyhood NEXT RIGHT

She’s really into having a job isn’t she?
    I did this with my foster kids when I ran my crisis home. I used poker chips from the dollar store and when they were appropriate or completed a task when asked I gave them a chip at the end of the day they could cash in the chips for things I had in my “goodie bag” or for activities throughout the week.
    Because I was dealing with high risk behaviours it worked like a charm to bring them down to baseline.

Oh and I also paid for chores.
    Man I had a clean house!
    Leighann recently posted..Blogging Because of the Friendship

Who wouldn’t want two cookies a day!
    Barbara recently posted..What is Love?

38. Jackie says:

LOL! I love that picture of her! It is exactly what one of my girls would do…. and her list…. also something that my youngest daughter would come up with! It’s the list you look at and says…really? That’s it?
    Jackie recently posted..Monday Menu ~ Easy Chicken & Rice

39. Gina says:

Love that pic- she reminds me so much of my youngest.
    Gina recently posted..Drip, Drop………. Drip

Interesting list. Kids are funny these days. I totally get the COOKIES part but the rest, go figure.
    Bruna recently posted..my reward for being a mother