Pregnancy, Dateline, and Turning 30

Today I have Elena from Mommy is in Timeout guest posting. Elena holds a special place in my heart as we started our blogs on the same day, she was the very first blogger to give me her phone number, one of my VlogTalk partners, as well as one of my soon to be Blissdom #fightmob roomies.  It would take me more than one post to express how much I love Elena but instead I’ll just leave it at this and let you read about the excitement she experienced when she turned 30.

When I turned 30, I was 6 months pregnant with my first child, Lanagan. As you can imagine, there wasn’t a huge, blowout, to-be-talked-about-for-years-to-come bash. I wasn’t running around a surprise party in a little black dress or hanging out on a beach in the caribbean drinking mai-tai’s.

To celebrate the milestone, I was lounging on my couch, in my favorite sweats, watching Dateline. Yes, you are reading a post about a 30th birthday, not 70th. One can only imagine what racy things I’ll be doing by that age.

The big gift from my husband that year was a power washer. Now, before you all become overwhelmed with jealousy, or hatred for him, know that it was actually something I really wanted. I could go on and on about the benefits of power washing outdoor items in the spring and the satisfaction one has when your deck looks like it’s brand new. But, that’s for another post. One that will likely cause me to lose the 14 readers I currently have.

The night of my 30th, as I was bonding with Stone Phillips, I kept thinking to myself that I never made a list. The list. A Phoebe-esque things to do before you’re 30 list.

I didn’t do crazy or out of the box things before this birthday. I’m very vanilla when it comes to a wild and adventurous side. Jumping off a regular sized diving board at the community pool is about as risky as I get. Even then, I rock back and forth from heel-to-toe for a few minutes, working up the courage to jump in, as I watch 8 year olds out of the corner of my eye do it with ease.

Even if I had made 30th birthday goals, I never would have followed through. I would have felt that I had to include things like jump out of a plane or sleep in a tree hut in an African safari. I would’ve ended up making excuses like what if I get the one instructor on Earth that doesn’t know how to properly pack a chute or what happens at night when the lions think my oversized hips look like a festive meal?

I didn’t make the list. Nor did I even remotely consider following one. When I turned 30, I was having a baby. Turns out, that’s actually been the biggest, wildest and craziest adventure of my life. Who knew.

Happy 30th to you, Jess. I hope you have a mai-tai on the beach and enjoy your 30th birthday week long celebration. Love you!

I can just imagine Elena knocked up enjoying Dateline on her 30th birthday. Also makes me think of Carri for some reason…. For more wild and crazy stories from Elena check out her blog at Mommy is in Timeout, on Twitter, and on Facebook.

46 Responses to Pregnancy, Dateline, and Turning 30

Thanks for having me here today! Your intro was so very sweet. I hope Kauai was the best 30th birthday celebration ever!
    Elena recently posted..On Turning 30

Twitter: AlisonSWLee

Power washers are so underrated, they’re awesome.

Elena, I had the same thought of making a 30 by 30 list or something like that.

I did not. The pressure was off, and I enjoyed my time more entering my 30′s. So I’d take Dateline over crazy lists anytime (and I’m a list kinda girl!).
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..My 2-Year Old Baby

Love seeing the two of you together here today! Our 30th birthdays were similar, Elena! I’m thinking Jess *might* have the right idea with the whole Hawaii thing! :)
    Galit Breen recently posted..Go For It, Always

4. Jo Eberhardt says:

I had a small mid-life crisis in the 8 months leading up to my 30th. I didn’t make a list, but I felt like I had to do every wild and crazy thing possible before the big day.

A few months out, I decided that since I’d never had a 21st birthday party, I should throw myself an extravagant 30th. I hired out the top level of a local club, organised finger food and specialty cocktails, had invitations printed, bought a ridiculously expensive dress, and invited everyone I’d ever met.The plan was to drink until I didn’t feel 30 anymore.

Two weeks before the party, I found out I was 9 weeks pregnant.

Too late to cancel. Too pregnant to drink. Too tired to stay out past 9:30. I think I would have preferred Dateline.
    Jo Eberhardt recently posted..Books I’ve Read

• Elena

Oh my gosh…that is a fabulous story! Maybe you should throw the same bash at 40 to make up for not being able to stay up past 9:30 at pregnant & 30.

5. Sarcasm Goddess
    Twitter: sarcasmgoddess

A power washer sounds like a fabulous gift. I’ll never forget the year my husband got me a carpet cleaner for Christmas. Greatest. Gift. Ever.

Happy 30th Jess!
    Sarcasm Goddess recently posted..#SOPAStrike

All I wanted to do before 30 was to be married…check
    have a kid…check
    and have one or 3 indicent nights in Vegas…check and check.
    Kimberly recently posted..I’m A Pretty Big Thing In H-Town

7. Mrs. Weber

Wow, since I have a couple of years until I’m 30, I better get on that list making and try not to be knocked up so I can have a good time…But, being on the couch watching Dateline (or 20/20) and a powerwasher as a present sound nice too! That’s the curse of getting older.

With that said, Charlie better plan a HUGE surprise bash for your 40th! Just sayin’.
    Mrs. Weber recently posted..My Hood: Driving America – Updates at The Henry Ford

• Elena

That is the curse. And, since we live so close to each other, I would gladly let you borrow my power washer anytime. Maybe you should strive for a leaf blower or riding lawn mower. I totally agree on the 40th thing…I only 34 but I’ve already given him SEVERAL suggestions and I’m not remotely subtle about it.

A power washer sounds like a birthday gift I’d buy for my hubby, the obsessive cleaner! That’s so funny. People always laugh when I say I got my hubby a Dyson last Christmas, but he loved it! For his birthday I got him the under-bed attachment. He was thrilled.

Your 30th sounded nice and relaxing. Just what a prego mama needs, right? I, like Jessica turn 30 this year also. I’m not sure what I plan to do yet, but something tells me it might a lot like your night, sans baby belly. :-)
    Eve recently posted..Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Yogurt

• Elena

He has the under-bed attachment? I’m so jealous. I love the Dyson. That was my 28th birthday gift. Yep, we get all wild-n-crazy up in these parts. I will say – I do like a relaxing night in. Maybe you could copy my night – but add a little wine & seared scallops. There’s an idea!

A power washer sounds like a great gift! My 30th birthday was low key too and I have no wild crazy party or list to speak of. I actually was in denial about turning 30, so I was happy to let it fade into the background.
    Barbara recently posted..Pure Joy

• Elena

Sometimes it is fun to let them fade. I met my husband 3 months before his 30th and he was the same way…didn’t want it even mentioned!

10. John
    Twitter: daddyrunsalot

My wife asked for cast-iron cookware for her 30th . . . I got it for her, but reluctantly.

I told myself that I’d finish my first symphony before I turned 30 . . . and I let myself down. Now, I’m hoping to do it before I turn 50. Or ever. That’s a good goal.

Happy birthday, Jess :-)
    John recently posted..Where I cook with tater tots, sausage, and cheese

• Elena

I’m fairly certain my husband was very reluctant to get it for me as well. When he slid the box over to me, he kind of took a few steps back in case I blew up in anger. He kept hitting anyone who came over that weekend with the disclaimer “but, I swear she wanted it!”

That is a good goal. Sometimes we just have to give ourselves a little more time for things.

11. Jen says:

There is a special place in my heart for people who are blog friends and then become so much more.

Hope you both have great birthdays!

• Elena

There’s that place in my heart as well. Jess is so much more…I know you have found great friendships as well. We’re all very lucky to have found friends like this on the crazy interwebz!

My 30th birthday was also my little one’s first birthday party. Now that is wild and crazy for you, right? ;)

Just as a warning Elena, this power washer/Dateline story opens you up to all kinds of Grandma jokes.
    Kimberly recently posted..Happiness Through The Tears

• Elena

That is wild & crazy! Oh, totally. Wait until spring – I’ll video myself power washing like a madwoman. I don’t know why I didn’t tape it this past spring!

13. Nicole says:

A power washer! Well, whatever floats your boat, I guess. I was pretty excited when my husband gave me a food processor.
    Nicole recently posted..Just settle the fuck down already, it’s just Pyjama Day.

• Elena

A food processor is a great gift as well! I used that thing like crazy when my kids were babies for making food. I still use it because I may be slightly addicted to pesto sauce.

14. Sounds like Glenn & I’s 4 year anniversary. I was pregnant with our first daughter and we made simple plans for dinner and a movie. Nothing sounded good and I didn’t want to wait so Togo’s it was (a sandwhich shop). I was beat by then so I went to bed (at 6 pm) and Glenn watched TV alone. So romantic.
    Marie@feedingfive recently posted..Just a day

15. Victoria (Jessica's sister) says:

Really great post! Thank you for sharing and I have to admit that I am a huge fan of Dateline and look forward to a new mystery every Friday night as I put my kids to bed and curl up on the couch with a box of Bon bons and a bottle of wine. I look forward to turning 30 next year as my birthday will fall on a Friday and minus the pregnancy, my experience will be similar to yours. I enjoyed your post :)

• Elena

Hi Victoria! I’m glad you enjoyed the post. :) Since you like Dateline, maybe you could tell your sister not to think I’m such an old lady. Just think – you can have wine with Dateline on your birthday! ;)

I’m thinking I need a power washer–my birthday’s coming up! And that would definitely be better than the As Seen On TV gifts that my husband usually gets me. I can’t remember a thing about my 30th right now! This can’t be a good sign.
    Grumpy Grateful Mom recently posted..Good News! A Monumental Moment

17. Jessica
    Twitter: Spitupchronicle

Im sure when I turn 30 Ill spend my night the SAME way. Because who needs some big party? Not this gal.

Happy Birthday Jessica!
    Jessica recently posted..Joy

18. Mommakiss
    Twitter: mommakiss

Hey, I was pregnant when I turned 30′ too! Except I was only 2 months and it was a busy work time (32 days straight) and all I got was new bras. Because I was busting out of mine.

This didn’t include Dateline or lists though. You win at “scintillating
    Mommakiss recently posted..Just be honest…

19. Sandra says:

Totally sounds like my kind of 30th!
    Sandra recently posted..Speaking truth…

20. Kristy @PampersandPinot
    Twitter: PampersandPinot

Great post! And yes, having a kid is about the most adventurous thing you can do, agreed!
    Kristy @PampersandPinot recently posted..Sunday Stealing Part 3, Drinky Poo Edition

Thank you! It really is a great adventure. :)

Ha ha yes kids send you on quite a journey, don’t they?
    Natalie recently posted..And the Journey Begins…

I love Dateline and need more of it in my life….

Nice seeing you over here.

Here’s to new decades! :)
    Tonya recently posted..Channeling My Inner Teeny Bopper

24. MamaTrack
    Twitter: MamaTrack

Love this. I’ve had a number of equally exciting birthdays, all in my 30s. Welcome to the club, Jessica!
    MamaTrack recently posted..Embracing our Realities

25. Elaine

My 30th was pretty tame too. I had an almost 1-year old! I do remember we went out to dinner with a bunch of my friends though, so that was good… Although hanging out on “sofa city” was definitely the way to go WHILE pregnant! :-)

And Happy belated 30th Birthday to Jessica!! I’m old enough to be your wise, big sister. ;P

XOXO
    Elaine recently posted..Thank goodness I have LOTS of photos…

26. By Word of Mouth Musings
    Twitter: ByWordsMusings

now if Jessica got ‘knocked up’ on her 30th … wouldn’t that be something ;)
    By Word of Mouth Musings recently posted..Wordy Wordless Wednesday – Would YOU know YOU?

27. Greta @gfunkified
    Twitter: gfunkified

For my 30th, we went to an amusement park and Olive Garden or something. I was also knocked up, with number 4. Something about pregnancy takes the wind out of your celebrations, huh?
    Greta @gfunkified recently posted..I’ve Done It Again.