How Do You Answer The Tough Kid Questions?

Children (especially Hayley, my oldest) are full of questions. Some of them are easy to answer like “What’s for dinner?” and others like “Am I a code 8?” (WTF is a code 8?) are just strange. But sometimes they ask tougher questions like “Why did Aunt Suzie die?” or “What is sex?”

Answering the tough questions can be stressful (sometimes I have no idea what to say or how to say it) but it’s important that kids know about topics like sex, drugs, alcohol, and grief.

On Wednesday February 1st, 2012 at 10 am PST (1 pm EST) I will be joining Dr. Deborah Gilboa (aka Dr. G – @askdocg) over at The Motherhood for a live chat to discuss talking to your kids about the tough topics.

Here’s a video from Dr. G with a little more information on the talk:

Please head over to The Motherhood, register for the live chat on talking the tough topics with kids and I’ll see you there on February 1st at 10am PST!

Some more details: It’s an hour long chat and it’s typing only so you can stay in your pajamas and you don’t need to brush your hair.

Over at One Martini at a Time we are featuring a Chocolate Pomegranate Martini. You know you want to try it this weekend.

29 Responses to How Do You Answer The Tough Kid Questions?

Yay, you! This? Is completely fabulous and I’m so proud of -and happy for- you!
    Galit Breen recently posted..Thunder Cake

Twitter: AlisonSWLee

Awesome! Too bad I won’t be able to join in as I’ll be on a beach somewhere ;) Have fun!
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..Tasty Thursday: Chicken Rissoles

Congrats! Since you said I can stay in my jammies with unbrushed hair, I’ll be there. (Just don’t call me on Skype!)
    Kimberly recently posted..Drunk Neighbor Conversation

The Motherhood was actually a cool site to chat in. I co-hosted a chat on postpartum depression.
    Word for the wise, the site has major issues with Internet explorer. If people can’t see the chat tell them to open the page using another browser such as safari.
    Kimberly recently posted..And The Cows Rejoiced For This Is The Day A Child Was Born

5. theresa
    Twitter: amountainmomma

Code 8? Jeepers, things are gettin crazy out there! Are you guys going to cover how to tell my 6 year old that the tooth fairy isn’t real and she won’t be bringing any fairy dust so my little girl can fly? Ugh…

My kid figured out the tooth fairy was a fake all on her own but if the topic comes up I’ll take notes for you.

Exciting! I’ll try to tune in!
    Bridget recently posted..Occupy Minivan

Wow look at you! I’m sure this will be very helpful!
    Natalie recently posted..The Big 15 Months!

Thankfully my son won’t be asking tough questions anytime soon. He only says about 5 words right now. This is pretty nifty though. I’ll try to check it out. Congrats!
    Eve recently posted..He Thinks He Ate His Twin

9. Dana K
    Twitter: TheDanaK

My mom always defaulted to “look it up.” I will eventually tell Klaw to “Google it.”

I’m not kidding…

This is a great idea, though. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it to the chat with my non-napping toddler. I hope you’ll post a recap????
    Dana K recently posted..I am a Stay At Home Mom

Very cool! I wish I wasn’t at work & could watch. Will there be a way to view it after?

Love that your are doing this!
    Leighann recently posted..My Gift to YOU!!

12. How timely, my 6 year old was just asking me how babies are born. I tried to explain it in a way he would understand. I think/hope I did a good job. I want him to know he can ask me anything.
    Marie@feedingfive recently posted..Better than Jewelry

13. MamaTrack
    Twitter: MamaTrack

What a great idea! If I don’t have to work that afternoon, I’m in. Thanks for doing this!
    MamaTrack recently posted..Just a Number

What a very cool idea! I will do my best to be there.
    Tonya recently posted..Things Overheard At A Toy Store

15. Brianne says:

I had this come up, Daniel wanted to know how we are going to make a baby when we have another kid, and I was trying to explain it to him without going into too much with him. He seemed to accept the answer I gave him, but we will see how long that lasts. Kids are so curious but sometimes it is so hard to try and come up with the right things to say.