If my mom was a blogger

If my mom was a blogger…

I would be a lot busier.

I would have to set up her WP account and design her site.

I would have to show her how to log in, add posts and pictures, how to reply to comment, and what everything else means/does.

I would have to set up a Twitter account for her.

I would have to show her how to log in, how to follow people, and how to tweet. (Not to mention I would have to explain all the Twitter lingo).

I would have to set up a Facebook Fan page for her.

I would have to show her how to log in and how to add blog posts and pictures.

I would have to set up various other accounts that bloggers need and use.

I would have to explain to her the purpose of these other accounts, show her how to log in, and what to do for each one.

I would have to help her find other bloggers in her area which would be in either shopping, gardening, getting older, or being a grandparent. Probably a combination of all of them.

I would have to check on her accounts daily.

I would have to send her pictures of her grandchildren and possibly write some posts for her.

I would have to spend countless hours on the phone and the computer (simultaneously) answering her questions.

If my mom was a blogger…

I would have to charge her by the hour.

Mama’s Losin’ It

This weeks prompt: If my mom were a blogger.

107 Responses to If my mom was a blogger

I love the “charging her by the hour” line! I don’t think we need to have your mom start blogging…after our convo today, you already have enough on your plate in the blogosphere! ;)
    Elena recently posted..Super Easy Chicken Enchiladas

2. Elizabeth
    Twitter: singlelife2wife

LOL – was not expecting that last line! LOVE!!!! has she requested your assistance?
    Elizabeth recently posted..National Grilled Cheese Month!

3. Leah says:

Super cute! I think my mom would need a lot of blogging help too. : )
    Leah recently posted..Tina Fey and Steve Martin

Hahaha very funny! I was going to write this prompt and if I had, would have raised the same points you did :-) I don’t think my Mom even knows how to go to a browser and search for a blog!
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..The Bond Family heartbreak

• Jessica D Torres says:

My mom does know how to operate the Internet and she is subscribed to my blog so she’s off to a good start I guess.

5. Christi says:

This is so funny! My dad recently asked me to help him set up a blog for his business. Fortunately, he changed his mind – decided he wouldn’t have time to keep up with it!
    Christi recently posted..Good Friends- Bad Food- and a Flood

• Jessica D Torres says:

He could hire you to run it for the business.

• Christi says:

I actually think it could be a great blog. He has been a stone mason for over 40 years and he now does historic preservation of really old buildings. I think it would be great to show before & after pics, write about the process, etc. I can’t do any of that for him since I don’t live near him and don’t know about the process, so he would still have to be in charge of writing the posts.

• Jessica D Torres says:

That would be a really cool blog, especially with the before and after pics. He could write the posts and send you pics and you could handle the rest for him.

6. C @ Kid Things
    Twitter: kidthingsnet

If my mom was a blogger, well first I’d have to teach her how to get online. Safe to say, she’s not going to be a blogger.
    C @ Kid Things recently posted..Counting Down

7. Jessica plassmeyer
    Twitter: jessplassmeyer

I love this!! You are so funny but I guess I can’t laugh to hard because you did half that stuff for me! Hahaha

Very funny and probably dead on! No offense to your mom, but the elderly are so difficult sometimes, aren’t they?
    Tonya recently posted..A Woman I Didnt Know

• Jessica D Torres says:

I get phone calls all the time asking how to do stuff. She just got an iPad and can’t figure it out so I have to teach her when I visit (and I don’t even have one).

9. So funny!! I love the last line. It seals it all up perfectly!
    The Drama Mama recently posted..Writing Workshop- Always &amp Forever

10. Miel Abeille says:

This post tells so much about you, your mom, and the life of a blogger! Brilliant execution!

How much would you charge her?
    Miel Abeille recently posted..10 celebrity don’ts

11. Casey @ Sugar & Spice says:

LOL…this is what I would be doing too if my mom were a blogger

12. Dumb mom says:

Because she stalks me so completely my mom already can do most of this stuff & even has all of her social media accounts set-up. She’s even on Twitter! But if she had her own blog I’m sure my page hits would decrease a ton because she’d stop going to my page multiple times a day!
    Dumb mom recently posted..Writer’s Workshop Mom’s Happy Place

13. Karen V. says:

You are so funny! I love charging by the hour. We’d all make a lot of money if we did that – but would it be worth it?!

14. I don’t think you are giving your mom enough credit. After all, I learned all this on my own in my mid 50s.
    Karen, author of “My Funny Dad, Harry” recently posted..Easter Was Great Except For The Stupid Hats!

15. tracy
    Twitter: sellabitmum

Oh my word – hilarious and so true!
    tracy recently posted..If Erica Kane was my Mother and other Favorites

16. MommyLisa says:

I thought about this prompt for a second. Seriously my mom cannot do anything halfway so I think after a couple of months she would have more readers than me and be attending BlogHer as a keynote speaker…
    MommyLisa recently posted..In honor of taxes

17. Nicole
    Twitter: Losingwithchild

I would go through the same thing with my mother. It’s hard enough keeping her together with Facebook so blogging would not work for me. *lol*
    Nicole recently posted..A Tooth In Her Throat

18. This sounds like it would be a full time job! What are the accounts bloggers should set up? I may have missed some.
    JDaniel4′s Mom recently posted..Muffin Tin Monday- Spring Cleaning

• Jessica D Torres says:

Gmail, Alexa, Technorati, PeerIndex, LinkedIn is good also. Registering your domain with all the crawlers. There are many things to do for blogging.

19. thepsychobabble
    Twitter: thepsychobabble

lol, too true! I’d love my mom to start blogging more, maybe if I did more setup on it?
    thepsychobabble recently posted..What every student should know

20. I love this because I would have the same issues with my mom.

21. Dana K
    Twitter: TheDanaK

HAHAHA! I have a feeling you would end up having a phone call much like the one I had (in my head) with my mom when I saw this prompt. Thankfully, I got her permission to post it on my blog…
    Dana K recently posted..Mama wants one of those blog things

Ha ha too funny! That seems like too much work for sure and charging by the hour would need to happen LOL.
    Natalie recently posted..Wordless Wednesday-Chicago 2009!

23. Stephanie says:

So funny! Years ago my Mom told me “oh, I don’t have the internet, I just have AOL”. They’re so cute at that age!

24. Kelly says:

My mom would be exactly the same. I wonder what it is that we won’t know how to do when we are older.
    Kelly recently posted..OCEANS OF COMFORT

25. Kir
    Twitter: thekircorner

Oh Jessica, this was so adorable, (because I’d have to do all this for my mom, or hire YOU to do it) but that last line, SLAYED me. FUUUUUNNNNNYYYY!!!!
    Kir recently posted..RemembeRED- War Paint

26. Victoria says:

Hahaha… I like this because you know if I was a blogger you would have to do all of that for me too. I guess I take after mom in that area :)

27. Gina
    Twitter: firefam5

OMG- this totally cracks me up because my mom is a wanna-be blogger & I did have to do all that for her. Her blog format was driving me crazy & I finally ended up asking her to put me on as a collaborator & got her passwords so I could go in and change things. She will be coming here in the next couple weeks & has already told me that she wants to spend some time “re-vamping” her blog. Oh boy- like I have time for that- I barely have time to maintain my own :)
    Gina recently posted..Scavenger Hunt Sunday – W-E 4-17-11 &amp iPhoneography

28. Minivan Mama
    Twitter: rockthemini

Maybe you have a business idea here……..
    Minivan Mama recently posted..A WARM SUMMER NIGHT

29. Kristy says:

Oh, yeah. For sure! I did this same prompt today for Mama Kat!
    Kristy recently posted..If my Mama was a Blogger

30. Kirsten says:

Too funny! It made me think of the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. It also made me think of my mom!
    Kirsten recently posted..Kids These Days

31. Crystal says:

haha!! OMGosh that’s hilarious because it is SO true!!! I love this!!!! I’m obviously here from Mama Kats…what a great post!
    Crystal recently posted..Sweet Valley High

32. Mom / Grandma says:

Charging by the hour….Lets see….2 grandkids (that doubles the price), extra surcharge for the busy Little Monster, plus mutiple phone calls per day from her because she LOVES the phone (and as soon as you help me figure out facetime on my ipad these will increase). Overnight stays extra because grandma gets little sleep. This could really add up. I’m sure to easily collect enough to pay for my technology needs. And, I agree with the husband. We don’t use the “E” word.

33. JimmyFJames says:

This was a great post. If I had to charge my mom by the hour for all the computer work I had to do for her.. I would be retired already! LOL

34. Gaby says:

Oh, this is funny. I can totally see how that would be true. My mom teaches online classes, so she is pretty computer savvy, but my step-dad would be just like your mom. Oh, it gives me a headache just to think about it.

Thank you for stopping by my place.

35. Paula Kiger says:

Very cute! You’d probably be wealthy too if she paid up!! Thanks too for stopping by my blog.
    Paula Kiger recently posted..Hello Jodi! and Jeff and Jenna and Nick and Steve A Mama Kat Writing Prompt

36. Mama Zen says:

Love that last line!
    Mama Zen recently posted..Incomplete

37. Theresa says:

Ha, too funny. What do you think her first Tweet would be?
    Theresa recently posted..If These Walls Could Talk They Would Scare The Shit Out of You…

38. MamaRobinJ

Ha! That would be my dad. Oh…it’s just too much to think about ;)
    MamaRobinJ recently posted..Four Weeks

39. I do not even think my mom knows what a blog is?!?!

40. DeBran says:

Hi! Lol…love the charge by the hour line. So funny…Ahhh…thank goodness our mothers are not bloggers. YET anyways. ;)

I recently told my mom about my little blog project. She got all curious…and I was worried she’d want one too. Not that I mind helping her with it, but I’m SO busy and she has SUCH a big learning curve when it comes to technology.
    Kimberly recently posted..If I make this call…

42. Jennifer says:

Too funny! I love your last line. I had thought about writing on this topic, as well; it sounds like our moms are similar. :)

43. Dianna says:

Oh, that is SO funny! My son could probably relate to some of that (although he hasn’t helped me at all with my blog!).

Can you explain Twitter to me?? I signed up a long time ago to follow PW. The other day I received an e-mail that one of our friends is following me! Well, he’s gonna be disappointed: I’ve never……is it called “tweeted”???

Thanks for visiting and commenting over on These Days today!

• Jessica D Torres says:

Twitter is like text messages sent over the Internet that anyone following you can read. You are limited to 140 characters. It is great for meeting and connecting with other bloggers and for getting your blog out there to people. You should jump into Twitter more and try it out. Yes, the message you send is called a “tweet.”

44. Suzie says:

That’s funny! You should definitely charge if you’re doing all that!

45. Diane @ BeStillaMinute
    Twitter: bestillaminute

Ha ha! My mom is all about some facebook but I would definitely have to guide her along in the blogging world!

46. Suniverse says:

Right there with you.

Luckily, though my mom is on Facebook, my sister is the one who deals with it. Whew.

Great post! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Suniverse recently posted..Im like your PR person- but with MUCH better advice

47. Helene
    Twitter: h

Great post and SO true!! You would definitely have to charge by the hour! When I got my dad set up on Facebook, he called me all the time with questions and “how do I do this?” Then there was the day he posted his address and phone number for all the world to see.

Their generation just aren’t used to all this technology!!!
    Helene recently posted..How to survive Spring Break with your kids

• Jessica D Torres says:

My mom had her birthday posted and I think also her phone number. I know have her password so I can log in and make changes to her account when she messes something up.

48. Nicole says:

Oh goodness. Fortunately my mom would NEVER be a blogger. She keeps a journal of sorts – but it just records the weather of the day and a very brief description of the day (i.e., of jobs that were done around the house). She has told me that when she’s dead to BURN those journals. So, the chance of her blogging is zero.
    Nicole recently posted..Its only Tuesday Were all going to die!

49. Amanda

And you’d end up RICH!
    Amanda recently posted..Four Year Anniversary- Now with 90 less Disney

• Jessica D Torres says:

After she read this she said that she would trade me in babysitter hours. I guess that is a fair trade so I won’t be rich but I will have a babysitter.

50. Anne says:

Ha! Charge her by the hour! Love it. My mother manages to navigate the internet but it probably takes her 10X as long to do it as anyone else!

51. BloggyDaddy says:

That’s funny, I blog and I don’t know some of what you wrote. What are your rates again? ;)

Seriously, that was pretty funny. I’m imagining if my Dad suddenly wanted to blog how much work that would be.
    BloggyDaddy recently posted..Bad date Still great

52. Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation
    Twitter: mommyneedsvaca

Haha!!! This is great! I could write the exact same post about mom! You should talk her into it so you can earn some extra cash!

• Jessica D Torres says:

That would be nice except after reading this she said she wouldn’t pay me a dime, but she would trade in babysitter hours. I told her deal (if she ever wants a blog).

53. Anne
    Twitter: mamasgottago

Love it! The best part is that you’d have to charge her by the hour… but still sounds like you’d be willing to help her out! No amount of money could make me want to help my Mom on this endeavor.. I’d be pulling my hair out!! LOL
    Anne recently posted..If My Mama Were A Blogger

• Jessica D Torres says:

If she really wanted a blog I would help her out although it would take a lot of time on my part but she is my mom and I would do anything for her.

54. I feel your pain. I would have the same issue with my Mom!

55. Tiffany1377 says:

Well, I would have to explain to my mom what a blog is in the first place. I am still trying to teach my mom how to use her blackberry and that has been exhausting enough….I’ll pass :)
    Tiffany1377 recently posted..What Was I Thinking

56. Shell says:

Oh, what a lot of work that would be!
    Shell recently posted..How to Get Your Kids to Let You Sleep In

57. Hehe! It would definitely be lucrative for you though, right?

58. MamaTrack
    Twitter: MamaTrack

So funny. I love the idea of charging her by the hour!
    MamaTrack recently posted..Go Away- Storm Cloud

59. Arlett (Chasing Joy)
    Twitter: Chasing_Joy

I love this. Do we have the same mom ;-)
    Arlett (Chasing Joy) recently posted..Fear- Truth- and Joy

60. Matty says:

Yep, my mom would be pretty much the same. She still has never used a computer, so even teaching her all the things pertaining to a blog would come well after I taught her how to even use a computer.

61. Love the idea of charging her by the hour. She sounds a lot like MY mother! :)
    Teresa Kander recently posted..A Thru Z

62. julie says:

Love this. I wish my parents would blog – they would be hilarious and probably be teaching ME a thing or two within a month.

Even my grandparents are on Twitter.

I am the technologically-stunted one in the family.
    julie recently posted..Today call me fathered

• Jessica D Torres says:

After the last post you had I think your dad should start a blog. How cute your grandparents are on Twitter.

63. Scary Mommy says:

The day my mom finally learned how to comment on my blog was a sad, sad day. I actually had to ask her to stop.

64. LOVE it . . . Perfect and soooo true. There are a few things on your list I don’t know how to do yet. I guess I’ll ask my daughter. :)