Santa is dead and so are some donuts

Many things lost their life this last weekend in my house.

First, was the belief in Santa.

We were driving to Round Table pizza on Saturday to pick up lunch and right as daddy parks the car the monkey makes the statement “I don’t believe in Santa anymore.” Daddy of course, jumps out of the car faster than I have ever seen any human move which leaves me left alone to handle this situation.

Without looking up from my very exciting game of iPhone Scrabble I ask “Why not?”

Monkey: “Because he’s not real.”

Me: “Why do you think he is not real?”

Monkey: “Because Santa’s handwriting is the same as yours.”

Me: “So Santa also has the best handwriting in the whole entire world?” (Anyone who has ever seen my handwriting is probably laughing so hard they are about to pee their pants at this because my handwriting is really terrible).

Monkey: “The writing was the same, and I found the list I made for Santa in your desk in the office.” (That was a total #MOMFAIL by me – I put the list in the top drawer not hidden by anything after telling her I mailed it to the North Pole).

Me: “No honey, Santa just gave me back the list after he was done with it so I could get you what you wanted.”

Monkey: “I don’t believe you and I don’t believe in Santa anymore.”

Me: Well, I didn’t respond. I just went back to playing Scrabble.

Daddy and I have not revisited this conversation yet with the monkey because truthfully we have no idea what to say. Do we admit that Santa is not real and totally kill her childhood beliefs in those magical creatures which also include the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy? Any advice would be great here people, really, I don’t know what to do.

Moving on…

Sunday morning after a weekend full of reading and talking about donuts with various people I took the monkey to the newest donut shop recommended to me by Yuliya at She Suggests. I have to report that at a couple donuts lost their life after this trip and my jeans are now slightly tighter (thank you to everyone who participated in The Red Dress Club).

Little monster destroying her donut

Crazy monkey attacking her donut

The rest of the day Sunday I was attacked by a 10 page research paper on retirement benefits and a huge pile of laundry. I am very happy to report that I won the battle against each one but it was a close call and I almost didn’t make it out alive.

Death by laundry - thank goodness for a spare bedroom

How was your weekend?

35 Responses to Santa is dead and so are some donuts

1. kim says:

mmmmm…. donuts.
    i told my oldest that if he didn’t believe in santa, he wouldn’t come. so he sorta knew he didn’t exist, but that we could still play along. the middle kid found out earlier because of her older bro- but still believes in the tooth fairy and easter bunny, and i didn’t have the heart to tell her!

• Jessica D Torres says:

I tried telling my daughter that if she didn’t believe in Santa she wouldn’t get an presents and Christmas too, she pretty much called my bluff though. How cute she still believes in the tooth fairy and easter bunny eventhough she doesn’t believe in Santa.

2. Russell
    Twitter: grocery_dad

Wow. I have a 7yo, a 3yo and a 2yo and this conversation actually makes me kind of nervous. I think Im going to be on the look out for this conversation in the very near future. Thanks for the heads up!

3. Kate
    Twitter: katepantier

Oh I was so old when I found out Santa wasn’t real that it’s embarrassing! BUT, I can say that I’m sure my parents encouraged it since I had 4 younger siblings & they were worried I’d spill my guts & ruin it for them (which I did for one of them lol)

The donuts look awesome & the laundry…welcome to my house!

• Jessica D Torres says:

I don’t remember how long I believed in Santa but I was the oldest also so I’m sure my parents didn’t want me to spill the beans either.

It always seems that weekends are filled with doing laundry.

4. Minivan Mama
    Twitter: rockthemini

: ( So sad about Santa, but I suppose that day must come for us all.
    Minivan Mama recently posted..ICE CREAM!

• Jessica D Torres says:

I know it comes for all kids but it is really sad, I would have thought it would have lasted until she around 10, not 7.

That is quite the laundry pile! Glad you won the battle against laundry & paper. ;) I honestly don’t know what to tell you about the whole Santa thing. My kids are both really young and I believed until I was WAY too old. It’s embarrassing to even state the age.
    Elena recently posted..My Little Swimmer

• Jessica D Torres says:

Now I really want to know the age you stopped believing in Santa.

That is my laundry pile EVERY weekend. Never seems to end.

6. Jamie Dodd
    Twitter: JamieLDodd

Donuts… *drool* I want some!! lol

Santa – well, if she figured it out, it’s not the end of the world. But, you don’t want her ruining the fun for Little Monster, so you could explain to her how it’s a fun game parents play with their kids when they’re little, and that she’s growing up sooo fast because she figured it out so soon. Tell her she now gets to help keep Little Monster believing in Santa.

Or you could do what I did to my oldest daughter and threaten to sell her on Ebay if she ever mentioned it to the little ones ;) Either way could work! haha
    Jamie Dodd recently posted..On This Path- I Blog

• Jessica D Torres says:

That is a good idea Jamie. The monkey is growing up way to fast and she is sometimes too smart for her own good. I’m sure she will like keeping the fun going for her sister though.

I threaten to sell dog #1 on ebay all the time! I think the monkey will cry if I tell her I will do it to her also, she can be very sensitive sometimes. She gets freaked out everytime I say it about the dog.

What a smart kid you have…budding CSI career?
    Kimberly recently posted..Secret Mommy-hood Confession Saturday

• Jessica D Torres says:

She is freaking smart but I think she would be freaked out by the blood. Maybe she could just solve missing art cases or something.

8. My kids don’t believe in anything – Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. I’m okay with it. We just go with “Santa is a feeling, like if you do something nice at Christmas it’s like YOU’RE Santa!” That kind of thing. It’s not a big deal to me, but it sure is to some other moms I know, who are horrified!
    Nicole at the Boy House recently posted..Soccer Moms- not just about tracksuits anymore

• Jessica D Torres says:

I think it just makes me sad because it shows that she is growing up and I’m not ready for her to be that old yet.

9. Jess@Straight Talk
    Twitter: jessesco

Awww what a tough thing! I have no advice and I dread that day. So…Easter is coming. Maybe do something super sneaky that convinces her Easter bunny is rocking and rolling and then she’ll think, hmm maybe they’re right about Santa! Even if it just buys you a couple more years.

Ugh. I wish I had words of wisdom!
    Jess@Straight Talk recently posted..Saturday Snapshot

• Jessica D Torres says:

I’ve never been too good at remembering Easter but I think this year I will try and step up my game to see what she does.

Hopefully you have a few more years until you have to deal with this.

10. liz says:

That’s a tough call. I think if it were me, I’d let it be and see if it was brought up again. If she’s old enough to figure out the matched handwriting, it probably isn’t too much longer until she figured it out anyway.
    liz recently posted..My Li&8217l Painter

• Jessica D Torres says:

For right now I’m not going to bring the subject up again with her. She is pretty smart and I don’t think I can fool her with any of my responses.

I’m hoping maybe she will ask grandma about it and grandma will know what to do.

11. KLZ says:

OMG I want a donut now.

As for Santa…buh? I’m so no help there.
    KLZ recently posted..Five Superlative Ways to Prompt Awesome Blog Posts

• Jessica D Torres says:

After I read all those TRDC posts last weekend I had to get a donut. It was so not fair but the donut was at least tasty.

12. JDaniel4's Mom says:

My mother in-law told my husband he would get Santa presents as long as he believed. He got presents from Santa until he went to college.

13. Shell says:

I wouldn’t have a clue what to say about the Santa thing.

And the RDC made me sort of hate donuts and crave them at the same time.

• Jessica D Torres says:

For now I am ignoring the Santa situation hoping she doesn’t bring it up again.

TRDC prompt for donuts made it hard to resist those evil little round things filled with sugar. I hope they don’t do that prompt again.

14. By Word of Mouth Musings
    Twitter: ByWordsMusings

My oldest found baby teeth in a box the other day … I spirited them away and she looked a little thoughtful about the whole thing … but …
    and yes, that damn pink donut – ugh!

15. Love the donut faces, so cute! I’m pretty sure my daughter doesn’t believe any more and just won’t tell us because she’s afraid then she won’t get any presents. So far, that system is working!

• Jessica D Torres says:

I normally don’t let my kids have donuts so they were very excited the other day. I tried telling my daughter that I didn’t think Santa would come if she didn’t believe in him but she didn’t really buy it.

16. Courtney K.
    Twitter: MrsMommyMatters

Hmmm. I’m not really any help here. :( My husband and I have decided not to teach our son to believe in Santa anyway. Maybe you should just not worry about it. Christmas and Easter is all still fun even if there is no giant Rabit or Jolly Fat man :)
    Courtney K. recently posted..The Anchor Holds

• Jessica D Torres says:

They are still fun holidays without the belief in the fantasy but it is just a sign to me that she is growing up (quickly).

Three things:
    1. Santa doesn’t exsist?
    2. I haven’t had a donut in so long!
    3. You play Scrabble? I do too and love it… are we Facebook friends. I’m inviting you to a game ASAP!
    Tonya recently posted..For Sure

18. I dread the day I get these questions. :) Thanks for stopping by my site! I’m excited to be a part of the UBP!!

• Jessica D Torres says:

The Santa question comes at some point unfortunately, hopefully you are better prepared than I was.