Great minds think alike

My husband and I have been married for about 4 years. With each day that passes we find that we think more and more alike which is becoming kind of scary.

The phrases “I was just thinking that” or “I was going to say that” have become extremely common between the two of us.

I think I want pizza for dinner. At that exact moment, he says “Do you feel like Blind Onion (local pizza place) for dinner?”

He makes a comment about a dish we just saw on Top Chef (I love Top Chef). I reply I was thinking the same thing.

So, after our cancelled outing to the movies last weekend for his birthday because our stuff was stolen I thought it would be a good idea to surprise him with date night this weekend. My plan was to ask Nanny McPurse (that is her new nickname) when she came over on Wednesday if she could watch the girls while we went to the movies on Friday night.

Tuesday night after I got home from school my husband says “I have a surprise for you but I don’t want to wait to tell you.” Nanny McPurse is going to babysit on Friday night so we can go to the movies.

My response was “damn it – that was going to be my surprise to you.”

I guess the saying that great minds think alike is true.

Maybe in the future our ESP we will evolve so much that my husband and I won’t even need words to communicate. Wouldn’t my husband love that.

I am wondering does this happen to other people. Do you and your significant other think alike?

33 Responses to Great minds think alike

It’s rare, but it happens. I guess after you spend so much time with the same person (my husband and I have been together for eight years in May, married four in August) it is bound to happen form time to time.

Glad you are going to be able to celebrate your husband’s birthday this weekend. What movie are you going to see?
    Tonya recently posted..Waiting For Daddy To Come Home From Work

• Jessica D Torres says:

I can imagine in eight years that you have had some great minds think alike moments.

I have no idea what movie to see yet. We found a couple that look okay but we haven’t decided. Any recommendations?

2. Meg @ Adventures as a Small Town Mom
    Twitter: adventurousmomy

We don’t think alike, be we do finish each others sentences. I wonder what our conversations will be like 10 years from now – maybe just grunts?!
    Meg @ Adventures as a Small Town Mom recently posted..How to Add Social Media Icons in Blogger

• Jessica D Torres says:

I wonder how you finish each others sentences if you don’t think alike. It would sound really strange to everybody else if you two just grunt to each other in 10 years but it would be pretty funny.

• Meg @ Advemtures as a Small Town Mom
      Twitter: adventurousmomy

Basically what I meant is that while we may not share the same thought/opinion about something I know how he will respond based on his personality. :)
      Meg @ Advemtures as a Small Town Mom recently posted..How to Add Social Media Icons in Blogger

3. Alexandra says:

It’s nice when you are on the same wavelength, isn’t it? Makes things, esp. raising children, so much easier when you share values.

• Jessica D Torres says:

It does make some things easier when we are thinking the same but it also makes it very hard to suprise each other. Thanks for joining me on GFC. I just added it to my site yesterday.

4. Kate
    Twitter: katepantier

When is your anniversary? We have been married almost 4 years too.

Todd & I are like this too. But we miscommunicate at the same time! lol

• Jessica D Torres says:

It’s funny how you can miscommunicate and still think alike at the same time. My husband and I do that too.

5. Elizabeth
    Twitter: singlelife2wife

We are still in the stage of everything I say or mention, he will re-mention later that week as if it was his brilliant idea!.. BAAA!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Taco Night!

• Jessica D Torres says:

He is stealing your ideas and claiming them as your own? That’s terrible. You should do it back to him ;)

6. Victoria says:

Married 2 1/2 years, we are the same way! We are constantly saying “I was just thinking that!” or “I was JUST going to say that!” I love that we think so much alike. It reminds me more all the time that I found my perfect match! Aww :)

• Jessica D Torres says:

Awww…how sweet sister. I’m glad you found your perfect match. But it is scary he thinks like you…

7. Jamie Dodd
    Twitter: JamieLDodd

I’ve been married for almost 12 years and sometimes it’s like we’re one person, saying the same thing at the same time…always out in public where people can make fun of us for it lol. One time we both said the same thing, then fussed at each other the same way by both saying “Get out of my head!!” at the same time. After that, we just gave up ;)
    Hope you two have a great night out and enjoy the movie (let me know which one you went to see and what you thought about it).
    Jamie Dodd recently posted..A Tweet Surprise

• Jessica D Torres says:

I can only imagine after 12 years that you are thinking the same thing a lot. It is funny when we go out in public and people hear us make the same comments. I think we are going to see Unknown. I’ll let you know how it is.

8. My husband calls me “Nano” because I say what he is thinking a nanosecond before he can say it himself. :-)
    Heidi Smith Luedtke recently posted..MilSpouse Friday Fill-In 32

9. Mrs.Mayhem says:

It must be nice to have a similarly thinking spouse. My husband and I are total opposites…. but after 15 years, I know what he’s going to say and do (unfortunately I usually don’t agree). Keeps life lively.
    Mrs.Mayhem recently posted..10 Must Haves this Spring

• Jessica D Torres says:

I guess being total opposites would definitely keep life interesting. My husband jokes that he won’t need to remarry if anything ever happens to me because he will still be able to have the same conversations since we think so much alike.

10. No, hubby and I don’t typically think alike. We do make each other laugh though.
    Jean Has Been Shopping recently posted..Censorship- The Secret Ingredient

11. Michelle
    Twitter: flyinggiggles

At times we are right in tune with each other and other times we can barely speak to each other without the other misunderstanding what we are meaning to say. Thankfully we are more in tune with each other than not.
    Michelle recently posted..Our Computer Detox- Did I Fail or Succeed

My husband and I think a lot a like too. It is sometimes fun, and sometimes annoying :)
    Kimberly recently posted..Weekend Flair 13

13. Yuliya says:

Our four year anniversary is coming up soon…wait like really soon…I should probably plan something…
    And yes sometimes husband and I think so alike it scares me, other times I just wish I could inside his head to see how it really works…
    Yuliya recently posted..Holy water

• Jessica D Torres says:

My four year anniversary is coming up soon also. You should have him plan something instead of you…

I would be afraid to see inside my husband’s head. We think the same most of the time but sometimes the things he comes up with are just crazy and they totally confuse me so I think I would get lost in his head.

14. Oh totally this happens to us all the time! It’s like living with your best friend. You’d know what was going on up there.
    Mom Went Crazy recently posted..I’d Like the Thank…

• Jessica D Torres says:

I’m glad my husband and I aren’t the only ones who think alike. Sometimes it is kind of scary that we are thinking the exact same thing so often but it makes it easier because we don’t have to argue about what to watch on TV or what to have for dinner.

15. Gian Sorreta says:

My wife and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary 3 weeks ago, and we are also starting to think alike… But then again, she’s always right and I’m always wrong ;)
    Gian Sorreta recently posted..5 Things to consider before investing in rental income property

• Jessica D Torres says:

Hahaha….congratulations on your anniversay! Since I am a wife I have to agree that the wife is always right and the husband is not…usually.

16. Monica says:

I am so happy to find other couples who are so connected. I have been searching the Internet to see if there is some kind of term for it because we are constantly saying what the other is thinking. This happens even about random subjects at random times and is a little freaky. The weirdest thing that has happened was that we woke one morning and he started telling me his dream (usually he doesn’t remember them) and no, it was not the “same” dream I was having, it was the continuation of the dream that I was having at the same time.