My Rant About Nap Time

My little monster never (rarely) takes a nap for me.  She loves her mommy so much that she doesn’t want to close her eyes at all when I am around.  Nevermind the fact that I enjoy quiet time and I can accomplish a lot more when she is down for nap.  No, she parties hard when mommy’s around.
Little Monster and her toys

This semester, for the first time ever, I am taking day classes because I have to (budget cuts, lack of classes, last semester for B.A., etc.).  So I go to school at 1:00.  Guess what my little one does?  She takes a nap for the nanny.  And, not only does she take a nap for the nanny, she sleeps for hours!!!

Little Monster finally asleep

How unfair is that?  I pay someone to watch my child while I go to school and she sleeps for hours.  I stay home with her and she won’t even sleep for five minutes.  No wonder I am going crazy.  But at least I’m loved.

Mommy and the Little Monster

Am I alone in my nap time troubles or are there other moms out there who have children that love them so much they don’t want to take naps? Please share your stories about nap time so that I don’t feel alone in my troubles.

36 Responses to My Rant About Nap Time

1. Jo says:

Not alone! I have a sitter twice a week and my little one for months would nap for hours for her, but never for me. Guess we’re just too much fun :D

• I’m glad I’m not alone but I’m sorry you had the same problem. You would think our kids would be tired of us since we are with them almost all the time so they would sleep with us and stay awake and play with the sitters. Nope, not the case. Thanks for the comment.
      Jessica

2. Jo says:

Jessica

3. Victoria says:

Oh no… You’re not alone! My two-month old will only nap if I am holding him. Not daddy or his comfortable swing… He wants mommy. It’s nice to sit down and stare at him for hours but I can’t get anything done. I realize that I’ll never get these moments back so I’m enjoying every minute!

• I remember those days when I had to hold my little monster for her naps because if I put her down she would wake up. Nice when you don’t have anything else to do but when you are busy it can be hard. Enjoy the baby while you can, soon he will grow up and be running all over the house.

4. Victoria says:

5. Clayton Thomas
    Twitter: claylauren2001

I’d love to but I have streamlined naps. I know they can be tough though. Maybe you should hire the babysitter/nanny more often. By the way, I will be subscribing to your future posts!

All my best,

Clay

• I should just have the nanny come over every day in the afternoon to put my little one down for nap and then she can leave. That way there would always be a nap. Thanks for subscribing and for the comment. I subscribed to your blog and I love reading it every week, always good advice.

6. Clayton Thomas
    Twitter: claylauren2001

All my best,

Clay

7. Practical Parenting
    Twitter: katiefhurley

I have to say I’ve always made naps my mission because two exhausted cranky kids is just too much! My four year old just stopped napping but has a good quiet time where she plays quietly. That said, I’ve heard this from lots of moms…so you’re certainly not alone!!! Just keep trying!

Just found you on Bloggy Moms!

Katie

• I wish I would have made naps my mission but honestly I am terrible at following a schedule. That is good that your four year old will play quietly. I hope soon my little one can do that. Thanks for the comment.

Jessica

8. Practical Parenting
    Twitter: katiefhurley

Just found you on Bloggy Moms!

Katie

Jessica

9. julie says:

I cried big fat tears when my kids finally gave up their naps. (and even though they are now 11 and 13, I still sometimes get wistful at 1:00 on weekends when they are home and driving me crazy.)

But that picture of Little Monster with all her stuffed animals?

That could’ve been my baby girl. And her “entourage.” She always required at least 15 of her favorites to be picked up out of her crib or bed along with her. And she’d sit there like the queen of the couch.

And smile.

Thanks for making ME smile with the memory…

• My oldest is 7 and she quit taking naps a couple years ago which made me sad. My wish is that they would both take long naps on the weekends but I know that will never happen.

Little girls are so funny with all of their toys, especially babies. It drives my husband crazy but I think it is so cute.

I’m glad you liked the post and were able to remember some times when your kids were little. Thanks for the comment.

Jessica

10. julie says:

But that picture of Little Monster with all her stuffed animals?

And smile.

Thanks for making ME smile with the memory…

Jessica

11. Sandra says:

Obviously you’re living life in the fast lane and she wants to be there with you! You are making it way too much fun to be with you. Nanny’s got it good!

12. Sandra says:

13. Suzanne Hammer says:

Naps or no, that’s one cute baby. As a mom who’s kids are all grown and gone, enjoy them while you can. They grow up way too fast.

• They do grow up fast. One of the reasons I enjoy writing this blog is it allows me to record many of the little things my kids do so that in the future I can read the posts and remember how crazy (and cute) my kids were. Thanks for the comment.

14. Suzanne Hammer says:

15. Minivan Mama
    Twitter: rockthemini

My kids have always napped, however, my son has rarely slept thru the night and all three wake up before dawn. That is except when my mom watches them overnight. They always sleep in.

• I am NOT a morning person at all. My oldest likes to wake up before the sun every day. Luckily the youngest sleeps in late. I don’t know what I would do if they were both early risers. Maybe grandma keeps them up really, really, really late at night and that is why they sleep in. Thanks for the comment.

16. Minivan Mama
    Twitter: rockthemini

17. dooritos says:

Naps times two are even more of a nightmare. One wakes up the other one sleeps. One takes looooooooong naps the other not so much. When my children are with their dad not only do they nap, but they do it in synchronicity. :( WHY WHY WHY?!! No you are not alone with the nap time woes.
    I hope you get rest soon. :)
    Dora
    Here’s my experience with sleep in general: http://dooritosnthings.blogspot.com/2010/04/breaking-up-with-sleeping-beauty.html

• Oh, I feel so bad for you. I only have to deal with one child not napping, I couldn’t imagine trying to get two little ones down. I do understand your frustration with the fact that the kids take good naps for daddy and not for you. Such a pain. Thanks for the comment.

18. dooritos says:

I hope you get rest soon. :)
    Dora