I have a confession to make. I am addicted to my iPhone. I can’t leave the house without it. I am always on it. I love it. Sometimes I think my husband regrets the day he said I should get an iPhone. The list of reasons why, as a busy mom, I love my iPhone include:
- I can keep track of my daily to-do lists and add to the lists as I remember something
- I can keep a running list of what I need from Costco, Target, etc…
- I can play games (Scrabble, Tetris, Sudoku to name a few) without pretending to let the kids win or having to feel bad when I win
- I can check my email without having to sit down at the computer
- I can check the weather to figure out what I should wear for the day
- I can check how the stock market is doing for the day (which I almost never check because I try to avoid bad news)
- I can set the alarm for afternoon naps so that I wake up in time to pick up the oldest from school
- I can take pictures of the kids when they are misbehaving without having to run and find the camera
- I can then send those pictures instantly to daddy so he can witness the misbehaving of the children
- I can take videos and instantly upload them YouTube and send out to others
- I can use the map for directions when driving which is very helpful because I am a horrible navigator
- I can listen to music (with headphones if I really want to ignore the kids)
- I can add movies to my Netflix queue as I think of them (Phone Flix app)
- I can download Netflix instant movies (Netflix app) for the kids to watch on those long car rides when they keep asking “Are we there yet?”
- I can stay up to date on Twitter
- I can manage my blog
- I can shop on Amazon
- I can also shop at any other store that has a website
- It is also a great toy for my little one who she is screaming and nothing else seems to calm her down
- Last, but not least the iPhone is great for making me look busy when I are waiting somewhere with a room full of strangers and don’t want them to talk to me.
- Oh, and one more reason… “There’s an App for that” (trademarked by Apple) so I can buy an app for anything else I want to do on my phone.
Thinking about it now, I spend a lot of time on my iPhone. I believe that every busy mom should have an iPhone but we need to figure out how to use them without becoming addicted. So, moms let’s find some balance with our phones.
Sesame street song (video): There’s an app for that
Are you addicted to your iPhone (or Blackberry or other type of smartphone)? What activities do you usually find yourself doing on your iPhone? Can you put the phone down and find some balance?